Proper Disconnecting Means in ONE Control panel with TWO VFDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezburn

Hello All,
I have a question surrounding the Code when it comes to Control Panel Design with VFDs. We have a buddy pump system in which we are installing VFDs. We would like to use ONE Control cabinet with TWO VFDS in the cabinet. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how NFPA addresses this issue? If its even possible or not? From my limited understanding on NFPA 79 or 70e I feel as though we would need to have each drive in a separate cabinet with its own separate disconnect. If we use one cabinet but still have separate disconnects, I don't feel NFPA would allow anyone to work on one drive (de-energized) while buddy drive is still energized and running. The purpose of the buddy system is one pump is used as a backup. The scenerio I am thinking of is when one drive fails, we switch to the backup, and would then replace the failed drive while the backup drive is running. I don't think we can accomplish this per NFPA with one Control Cabinet and two disconnects? I am looking for any thoughts and advice as to where to find in NFPA 70E or NFPA 79 regarding this design.

Thank you for any direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.