Elevator motor OCPD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

I'm trying to size branch circuit OCPD and conductors for an elevator motor. The only data that I have for the motor is 16 HP at 30.6 RPM, and the utility voltage 208/3 phase.

For sizing the OCPD I need motor HP so my first thought what exactly is this info "16 HP at 30.6 RPM" even used for?

How do I get the HP to use for sizing the OCPD?

Does 30.6 RPM suggest a multi speed or low speed motor?

JFletcher

I'm trying to size branch circuit OCPD and conductors for an elevator motor. The only data that I have for the motor is 16 HP at 30.6 RPM, and the utility voltage 208/3 phase.

For sizing the OCPD I need motor HP so my first thought what exactly is this info "16 HP at 30.6 RPM" even used for?

How do I get the HP to use for sizing the OCPD?

Does 30.6 RPM suggest a multi speed or low speed motor?

There's nothing from the mfg of the motor, drive unit, hydraulics unit, elevator mfg?

30.6RPM seems to indicate to me a DC motor, reduction gearbox or most likely a VFD to achieve such a low, precise number, tho I admit I know about as much as elevator motors as I do biological invisibility cloaks for polka-dotted unicorns. A Google search of "16 HP at 30.6 RPM" yielding one result with that exact phrase: this thread.

istm to be too easy to simply size the conductors and OCPD for a 16HP motor, keeping voltage drop at a low (3% or less) amount.

cppoly

Thanks. I will look further into it from the manufacturer.

But, what are you supposed to do when you are given a HP that doesn't match up with the HP in the NEC tables? Just round UP? 16 --> 20 HP?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Thanks. I will look further into it from the manufacturer.

But, what are you supposed to do when you are given a HP that doesn't match up with the HP in the NEC tables? Just round UP? 16 --> 20 HP?

I wouldn't round up. Maybe use the nameplate information?

Status
Not open for further replies.