Number of Lighting Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

In the Code, it calls for 3 watts per square foot for general purpose lighting circuits. This assumes that outlets will be included on these circuits as well. But suppose we wire all the lights to 15-amp circuits with no outlets, and all outlets to 20-amp circuits with no lights on them. Does this change anything as far as the maximum number of square feet per 15-amp lighting circuit? Assume LED bulbs (and recessed trims) are to be used, rather than incandescent.

In the Code, it calls for 3 watts per square foot for general purpose lighting circuits. This assumes that outlets will be included on these circuits as well. But suppose we wire all the lights to 15-amp circuits with no outlets, and all outlets to 20-amp circuits with no lights on them. Does this change anything as far as the maximum number of square feet per 15-amp lighting circuit? Assume LED bulbs (and recessed trims) are to be used, rather than incandescent.
Doesn't have anything do do with the breaker. You just have to have the 3 watts per sqft.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is not possible to wire lights (luminaires in Code speak) with no outlets. Each location that you connect one or more fixtures is an outlet.

It is not possible to wire lights (luminaires in Code speak) with no outlets. Each location that you connect one or more fixtures is an outlet.
I think he ment receptacles, I had my father in law work with me for a while and he called everything switches, he was supposed to be pulling wire to receptacles. When he was done and came back for more work he said I got all those switches done. It really worried me that he was doing stuff wrong!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I will add that the 3 watts per SF is what you need to include in the service calculation, along with many other things, in order to ensure that the property has sufficient power from the utility to handle its needs. It is not a criterion for establishing the design of the lighting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.