Romex switch legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought the posts were saying the neutral in switch box could not come from the fixture outlet , it had to be from a power line into switch box.
Nope, but it does need to be from the same circuit, and accompany the other conductors.

Jim W in Tampa

Like it or not many so labeled electricians know even less than some home owners. We have a serious problem in FL due to our licensing method. The guy wiring your new home could be anyone that the master license holder hired. So with that in mind yes we need a few rules in using a white wire for an ungrounded conductor. I too have had ID 10 T helpers go behind me and FIX by screwed up switch. They are clueless and many don't even know what NEC is.
Lets also remember that NEC gave us a way to do this by letting us use that white wire. I have seen a few even waste 14-3 to go to a dead end switch because they did not know better.
Personally i prefer seeing a sharpie used rather than tape. Keeps one more idiot from removing tape.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lets also remember that NEC gave us a way to do this by letting us use that white wire. I have seen a few even waste 14-3 to go to a dead end switch because they did not know better.
Of course, the NEC requires us to install that "waste" now.

Personally i prefer seeing a sharpie used rather than tape. Keeps one more idiot from removing tape.
I like Sharpies for recoloring, too. Much cleaner and neater, and hold in heat.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Im lost , 2 wire cable "in'' entering switch box connects neutral "in" to neutral "out" to fixture , black "in " goes through switch to black "out" to fixture. Why the 3 wire out to fixture?

the 2011 code wants you to feed your switch box first then from the switch box to the light.

so lets say you want to wire a light in one room with a home run from the panel you can run 14/2 to your switch box then from the switch box to the light now you have a neutral in your switch box and you black wire is your switch. so you don't need a 3wire for that.
one reason for this is there are electronic switches,timers ,dimmers that need the circuit neutral.

480sparky

the 2011 code wants you to feed your switch box first then from the switch box to the light.

so lets say you want to wire a light in one room with a home run from the panel you can run 14/2 to your switch box then from the switch box to the light now you have a neutral in your switch box and you black wire is your switch. so you don't need a 3wire for that.
one reason for this is there are electronic switches,timers ,dimmers that need the circuit neutral.

Taking power to the light, then running 3-wire cable to the switch, would still be perfectly legal.

jetlag

I think this will cause a lot of problems, if some one wants to replace a light fixture with a ceiling fan as is very common , there is no hot for the pull chain

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I think this will cause a lot of problems, if some one wants to replace a light fixture with a ceiling fan as is very common , there is no hot for the pull chain

yes but you can allways run a 3 wire from you switch box to your light box:grin:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
when i do a rough and they want a ceiling box for future light i install a fan box alllways and run a 3 wire from the switch.in case they wan a thchange to a fan in the future:grin:

iwire

Staff member
So tell me how your read the definition of a raceway? Article 100.

It is also called a jacket.

Cable and jacket are not defined.

But a raceway is.

A cable is not a raceway.

334.2 Definitions.
Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. A factory assembly of two
or more insulated conductors enclosed within an overall
nonmetallic jacket.

336.2 Definition.
Power and Control Tray Cable, Type TC. A factory assembly
of two or more insulated conductors, with or without
associated bare or covered grounding conductors, under
a nonmetallic jacket.

338.2 Definitions.
Service-Entrance Cable. A single conductor or multiconductor
assembly provided with or without an overall covering,
primarily used for services, and of the following
types:

Type SE. Service-entrance cable having a flame-retardant,
moisture-resistant covering.

Type USE. Service-entrance cable, identified for underground
use, having a moisture-resistant covering, but not
required to have a flame-retardant covering.

340.2 Definition.
Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable, Type
UF. A factory assembly of one or more insulated conductors
conductors
with an integral or an overall covering of nonmetallic
material suitable for direct burial in the earth.

342.2 Definition.
Intermediate Metal Conduit (IMC). A steel threadable
raceway of circular cross section....

344.2 Definition.
Rigid Metal Conduit (RMC). A threadable raceway...

348.2 Definition.
Flexible Metal Conduit (FMC). A raceway of circular
cross section.....

480sparky

It is also called a jacket.

Cable and jacket are not defined.

But a raceway is.

If you think NM is a raceway, try pulling a red 14 into a 14/2 from the ceiling fan to the switch.;)

If you can do that, and not exceed the 'jacket fill', I'll start calling NM a raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So tell me how your read the definition of a raceway? Article 100.
Mike, you are alone on this one. Look at the materials they are calling a raceway. None of the products are cables. You need to be able to pull wires in and out of a raceway-- you can't do that with cable.

In the definition it says
an enclosed channel...designed expressly for holding wires, cables....

Status
Not open for further replies.