Bounced check

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

you could also press charges for theft of services (in some states)

another option (if your bank offers it -mine does) is 'check recovery'. at no cost to you they keep putting the check through, every day, until it clears or you stop it. So every day the person who wrote the check gets a bounced check and overdraft fee. That will add up real quick, their account will get closed, they will get reported to chexsystems, and wont be able to open another checking account.

there is no excuse for bounced checks (other than by error in which case the person who wrote it answers their phone, and pays)

If you dont have the money, just dont pay me -dont give me a bad check and cause me additional problems beyond not being paid :mad:

growler

does anyone have any advice or guidance pls?

Were there any "Red Flags" with this customer that would let you know to be carefull?

Years ago I received some bad checks and I notice that everyone of them had red flags to watch out for in the future.

If you have any doubts about a customer at all then get some ID before accepting a check and make sure the address on the license is that of the home in question. Get a work as well as a home phone number. Make sure that you are dealing with the homeowner because it's not that easy to just pick up and walk away from a house. Make sure there is not possibility of issueing credit to the customer, don't accept partial payments or post dated checks.

There is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of bad checks but you can cut down the odds of getting one. If the customer sees that you are being carefull this will help a lot.

satcom

Were there any "Red Flags" with this customer that would let you know to be carefull?

Years ago I received some bad checks and I notice that everyone of them had red flags to watch out for in the future.

If you have any doubts about a customer at all then get some ID before accepting a check and make sure the address on the license is that of the home in question. Get a work as well as a home phone number. Make sure that you are dealing with the homeowner because it's not that easy to just pick up and walk away from a house. Make sure there is not possibility of issueing credit to the customer, don't accept partial payments or post dated checks.

There is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of bad checks but you can cut down the odds of getting one. If the customer sees that you are being carefull this will help a lot.

You have a good point, in states that take legal action, the first thing the police look for when you file a complaint is the customers driver license information, that helps them get the legal process moving.

Oakey

Gentleman thank you for all of the great advise on this, its been driving me crazy for weeks now. I figured if anyone knew about this issue it would be my fellow contractors who receive checks for a living.
Ive been watching the account with the help of my banking friend and its been a low balance, then I tried this...
A good time to check is a few days before the end of the month when they pay their mortgage.
Yup yesterday a few grand was popped in and I made the move and got paid, I hope the mortgage payment bounces just for spite. Ill write off the 15 dollar fee to experience for next time.

Thanks again guys!

480sparky

Gentleman thank you for all of the great advise on this, its been driving me crazy for weeks now. I figured if anyone knew about this issue it would be my fellow contractors who receive checks for a living.
Ive been watching the account with the help of my banking friend and its been a low balance, then I tried this...

Yup yesterday a few grand was popped in and I made the move and got paid, I hope the mortgage payment bounces just for spite. Ill write off the 15 dollar fee to experience for next time.

Thanks again guys!

Kewl move. But how did you know what day the mortgage was due?

Oakey

Tiger had suggested I try it a few days before the end of the month when folks usually pay the mortgage, I was just going for sheer luck

Status
Not open for further replies.