Cat 5/6 Cable with a Red Colored Jacket for Non Fire Applications Prohibited by NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandoid

Couldn't readily answer this question so hopefully one of you Gents out there knows this answer. Does the use of a Red Colored Cat5/6 Jacketed cable violate the NEC if not being used for Fire Alarm Systems?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To expand on what Jumper stated I would think that a listed cable of any color could be used.

Gandoid

Cat 5/6 Cable with a Red Colored Jacket for Non Fire Applications Prohibited by NEC?

Thanks much Gents!! A Gentleman told me of where the AHJ failed an installation because they used Red Jacketed Cat5/6. I told him I didn't think that violated NEC Code, but that the Locality and AHJ was just mandating it. But I wasn't sure on that.

JFletcher

Thanks much Gents!! A Gentleman told me of where the AHJ failed an installation because they used Red Jacketed Cat5/6. I told him I didn't think that violated NEC Code, but that the Locality and AHJ was just mandating it. But I wasn't sure on that.

As a matter of practice, we pulled red jacketed cat5e cable only for elevator telephones and for the fire alarm panel. This was to help us, is not a requirement nor a code violation.

Andy Delle

I know that using fire alarm cable for anything but fire alarms is prohibited. Example, you can't use it for LV door latches or speaker wire. But I know of no restrictions for other class 2 red jacketed cable. Take at look at article 725.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I know that using fire alarm cable for anything but fire alarms is prohibited. Example, you can't use it for LV door latches or speaker wire. But I know of no restrictions for other class 2 red jacketed cable. Take at look at article 725.

FPL, FPLR, and FPLP can be had in many colors, sizes, and conductor counts. It may be marketed as "fire alarm cable" but it is perfectly suitable for any low voltage installation that don't need CAT5E/6 or something similarly restrictive. Some jurisdictions, and I don't know if LA is one of them, may prohibit the use of red colored cable for anything other than fire but it is not part of any NFPA standard.

Andy Delle

FPL, FPLR, and FPLP can be had in many colors, sizes, and conductor counts. It may be marketed as "fire alarm cable" but it is perfectly suitable for any low voltage installation that don't need CAT5E/6 or something similarly restrictive. Some jurisdictions, and I don't know if LA is one of them, may prohibit the use of red colored cable for anything other than fire but it is not part of any NFPA standard.

Yes LA does not allow it and also City of Bay Lake. That is the code enforcement agency that governs Disney World in Florida. Talk about tough inspections! Those guys are by the book and always use the current NEC plus a few of their own enhancements!

Status
Not open for further replies.