Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panel in a pantry?

Panel in a pantry?

I have seen the code that says you can't install a panel in a clothes closet. What about in a pantry off the kitchen in a dwelling?

Behind the door?

Also, what if I build a small electrical closet within a large clothes closet?

I can't find specific prohibition

240.24.D,E&F tell you where you can't have OCPDs, and pantrys aren't listed. And it appears that the primary concern with clothes closets is easily combustible material in the vicinity. So, I'd think you'd be OK for putting it in a pantry, but you also need to bear in mind the working clearances in front of and to the side of the panel.

As to building a room within a closet for the panel, I'll leave that to others to put in their 2 cents worth, but again your 30in.x36in. working clearances means it would have to be a pretty big room-within-the-room.
    Howard

"You don't know the character of a man until there is not enough." Dr. Jack Letts, MD

If you build a room inside of a closet you are still inside the closet. Its like going into the office of a grocery store. You are still in a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Burger View Post
    240.24.D,E&F tell you where you can't have OCPDs, and pantrys aren't listed. And it appears that the primary concern with clothes closets is easily combustible material in the vicinity. So, I'd think you'd be OK for putting it in a pantry, but you also need to bear in mind the working clearances in front of and to the side of the panel.

As to building a room within a closet for the panel, I'll leave that to others to put in their 2 cents worth, but again your 30in.x36in. working clearances means it would have to be a pretty big room-within-the-room.
    Once the door is opened, you may have the clearance.
    "Appliances and wiring will burn out to protect fuses"

Quote Originally Posted by nosparks1 View Post
    If you build a room inside of a closet you are still inside the closet. Its like going into the office of a grocery store. You are still in a grocery store.
    If you go into the restroom you are also still in the grocery store. If the grocery store has an electrical room it is still in the grocery store. They are dedicated spaces within the store. Where are you going with this?

I think it is acceptable to build a "room" within a clothes closet, and place a panel within that room. The door to this "room" separates the overcurrent devices from the combustible materials. Working clearance might be a bit tricky, but it can be done.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

As long as it's not a clothes closet and there are no combustables then you should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
    I have seen the code that says you can't install a panel in a clothes closet. What about in a pantry off the kitchen in a dwelling?
    As long as you have your working space clearance I would say you are OK to have a panel in a pantry.

Behind the door?
    Behind a door is acceptable

Also, what if I build a small electrical closet within a large clothes closet?
    I agree with Charlie on this, as long as the working spaces can be met I would be OK with a closet within the clothes closet.

Chris

What I like about this forum is seeing many different views. If a panel was in a bathroom and someone built a cabinet with a door that met the clearance requirements around the panel, would you say the panel is no longer in the bathroom?

Quote Originally Posted by nosparks1 View Post
    If a panel was in a bathroom and someone built a cabinet with a door that met the clearance requirements around the panel, would you say the panel is no longer in the bathroom?
    But the OP was not suggesting a cabinet. He was discussing an equipment closet (a seperate room) built within a clothes closet.