Becoming an electrician in TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbreslin951

Occupation
Contractor and Master Electrician
Forgive me if this post is in the wrong forum; feel free to move it moderator, jsut trying to get some good info =]

Hello all, I'm trying to find information on becoming an electrician here in Texas, specifically the Austin area if it makes a difference. I'm 20 years old, with about a years' experience in the electrical field doing mostly residential work. I have a pretty thourough understanding of how single and three phase systems work (both wye and delta.) I've read both of Mike Holt's theory books which is where I got most of my knowledge, but I've also worked directly with commercial engineers on a few projects (which definately made me learn ALOT.) I've done a little commercial, done some pipe bending to get it ready for the field, modified alot of fixtures to work. I've even done some diagnostic/troubleshooting work on a computer controlled boiler/circulator system purposed to melt snow(all my experience is from NYC, and boy did that system give me a hard time. Had to run a whole new phase cuz when the circulators would kick on the current surge would kill the computer.) I really like commercial work but I was never licensed so I never got the opportunity to do too much of it. I have all of the hand tools required, including an $80 tester, and a box 'o 18V DeWalt stuff (my favorite power tools! =]) I've done a little bit of research on how to get started, so tomorrow (Wed 9/29) I'm gonna apply for my apprentice license and start calling every contractor in the phone book letting them know I'm looking for an apprenticeship (and hopefully have them reply with 'you're hired!' lol.) Any electricians or contractors in Texas feel free to give me advice on where to go from here. I'm really excited to get back into this trade, it's one of my favorite! Thanks in advance for y'alls advice!

bob mc

becoming an eltrician in tx

becoming an eltrician in tx

I would check at your local iebw hall or the local chapter of associated builders and contractors good luck i like your enthusiasm

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Forgive me if this post is in the wrong forum; feel free to move it moderator, jsut trying to get some good info =]

Hello all, I'm trying to find information on becoming an electrician here in Texas, specifically the Austin area if it makes a difference. I'm 20 years old, with about a years' experience in the electrical field doing mostly residential work. I have a pretty thourough understanding of how single and three phase systems work (both wye and delta.) I've read both of Mike Holt's theory books which is where I got most of my knowledge, but I've also worked directly with commercial engineers on a few projects (which definately made me learn ALOT.) I've done a little commercial, done some pipe bending to get it ready for the field, modified alot of fixtures to work. I've even done some diagnostic/troubleshooting work on a computer controlled boiler/circulator system purposed to melt snow(all my experience is from NYC, and boy did that system give me a hard time. Had to run a whole new phase cuz when the circulators would kick on the current surge would kill the computer.) I really like commercial work but I was never licensed so I never got the opportunity to do too much of it. I have all of the hand tools required, including an $80 tester, and a box 'o 18V DeWalt stuff (my favorite power tools! =]) I've done a little bit of research on how to get started, so tomorrow (Wed 9/29) I'm gonna apply for my apprentice license and start calling every contractor in the phone book letting them know I'm looking for an apprenticeship (and hopefully have them reply with 'you're hired!' lol.) Any electricians or contractors in Texas feel free to give me advice on where to go from here. I'm really excited to get back into this trade, it's one of my favorite! Thanks in advance for y'alls advice!

Welcome to the forum. click this link it will help you get going and Good Luck:)

http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elec.htm

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Wait until you discover the nicer tools. I have a Fluke 289 and enough extra "stuff" for it that I could have bought a car. Used, falling apart, but definitely a car.

If you want to find a place to actually do actual electrical work (... and not get paid ...) and make sure you want to get into the field, send me a PM. I'm in Austin and have plenty of contacts with folks who are looking for young and enthusiastic, as opposed to older, cynical, jaded and burned out ;)

It is a fun field -- I'm an ex-high-tech-geek who now abuses the sun and wind to make electricity and there's something about electricity that never gets old.

cadpoint

I'm in Austin and have plenty of contacts with folks who are looking for young and enthusiastic, as opposed to older, cynical, jaded and burned out

Were we going with that remark Brew Master?

I'm well under payed and well more knowledge than I'll ever be used for or obtain a good Job Over, thanks for the Kick for me and all the others that will read your opinion !

I like the kids zest too, "Go For it KID", Stay hungry! Don't let anyone tunnel you into something that's not U!

:)

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I've not heard from wbreslin951, but if he's still interested, there's a house being roughed, trimmed and probably even tested Sunday Oct 17th for Habitat. It's a "Blitz Week" build, which is always a blast.

The crew is led by a bunch of retired electricians. The great thing about this opportunity, other than a chance to "do good", is that there will be people from the industry who can help point him in the right direction. And he can see if he really likes the work.

Send me a PM and I'll send back more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.