Rafter in Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstg

Hi All,

In a kitchen renovation, 3 pendant lights over a 3 foot wide countertop, are to be installed. The boss (read the wife), wants the pendants centered on the countertop, but a 2 x 8 rafter runs right down the centerline. Can the rafter be notched and a bisquit box used, or just live with them 3" off center. It would be nice to keep the boss happy.

Thanks

lakee911

The rafter (or is it a joist? ) is probably there for a reason. Most likely the proper thing to do would be to double up the two beside of it and header off the area where you need to do the mods. If it's part of a roofing system (e.g. trusses) then your options will be limited w/o the approval of a PE ($$$) Consult a structural engineer for official advice.

Side note: this occured in my own house ... I shifted them and now I've got some unsightly shadows and glare. I wish they could have gone where they were supposed to be. I had joists, HVAC ducts, plumbing and all kinds of stuff there. I was lucky to get 'em up there at all.

raider1

Staff member
Are the rafters part of an engineered truss or are they stick framed?

There are boxes made that mount on the bottom of joists and trusses.

Chris

markstg

Joist...I never get that right. These are the floor joist for the 2nd floor. With a bisquit I was thinking that the joint would be notched 1/2" or so, and between the notch and the sheet rock, the bisquit would squeeze in. and the canopy would hide it all.

Last edited:

renosteinke

Sorry, but you're SOL. You can't notch those joists.

Not at all in the middle 1/3 of the span, and very little at the ends.

I would suggest that you use those offset 'fan' boxes. These place the wiring compartment to the side of the joist, while the body of the box is centered on the joist, and no thicker than the drywall.

If the ceiling has strapping wouldn't that buy another 3/4 of an inch plus 1/2 inch sheetrock,I think 4 inch rounds are 1 1/2 maybe if the box sticks out alittle you could hide it with the right canopy

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Thanks guys, will be going with the Pancake or Saddle box, no notching required.
images

markstg

When I worked as an electrician biscuit was what we called pancake boxes: Found this on an internet search, so at least I'm not crazy.

Field Names:
Pan box, round box, round outlet box, round fixture box, biscuit box, pancake box, shallow depth box, electrical mud box, sconce light box, round electrical box, round conduit box

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
See if this helps. As stated not in the middle third but yes in the outer 1/3. If it is a true 2x8 then you can notch 8/6 or 1.333 inches.

ry%3D480

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
See if this helps. As stated not in the middle third but yes in the outer 1/3. If it is a true 2x8 then you can notch 8/6 or 1.333 inches.

ry%3D480

Keep in mind that if this ceiling joist is part of an engineered truss then you can't modify it in any way without approval from the truss engineer.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.