green wire nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I noticed for a while the photos in the NEC handbook and DIY books always show the green wire nuts for the EGC . Is there any thing in the code not allowing the ground crimps any more ? I see how the wire nuts are good if you have to change something but they use up space in the box. I admit they might look cute to the inspector also !! They also charge you well for the green color and the hole in the end. Would like some opinions on using the crimps or the green wire nuts :-?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Crimps or wire nuts are acceptable. Personally I dislike crimps for the reason that you've mentioned. If the one green wire nut is taking up too much room in the box then maybe a larger box or less cables in the box would be a better installation.

jetlag

thanks infinity

thanks infinity

Crimps or wire nuts are acceptable. Personally I dislike crimps for the reason that you've mentioned. If the one green wire nut is taking up too much room in the box then maybe a larger box or less cables in the box would be a better installation.

I will try some green nuts , I seldom use a box that will be filled to max.

raider1

Staff member
Do you twist the wires tight like with a crimp before installing the nut or just install like any other nut that does twist the wire some when installed

This question has caused some very long and heated debates.:D

Me personally I have always twisted my wire first then install the wire nut.:)

I usually use crimps for my grounds in residental work, becasue they are cheaper and easier to carry around then green wirenuts.

Chris

glene77is

I checked with several manufacturers of wire nuts, a while back,
and I recall that one specified using enough twists of the hand
to cause the wires to show two turns below the skirt.

There was a thread, that discussed this, and the general conclusion was that the wires should become twisted before or after, the installation.

One way or the other, before or after, the wires should become twisted.

480sparky

I've never had a problem getting a crimp off.

Maybe it's because I install them with a Buchanan crimper as opposed to smashing 'em with linesmans. A couple seconds with diagonals, and it's outta there.

DSC_8951.jpg

DSC_8953.jpg

Cavie

Never used crimps. Never used green wire nuts. I used the KISS method. I used whatever wire nut I was using on the power wires. Never wore a tool belt except on service calls. Rough in was done with a nail apron with wire nuts on one side and staples on the other. Klines, screwdriver, hammer. I'm talking' residential here. Time is money.

jetlag

thanks cavie

thanks cavie

Never used crimps. Never used green wire nuts. I used the KISS method. I used whatever wire nut I was using on the power wires. Never wore a tool belt except on service calls. Rough in was done with a nail apron with wire nuts on one side and staples on the other. Klines, screwdriver, hammer. I'm talking' residential here. Time is money.

I like that but didnt know it would pass inspection, if so how did crimps get started and why are they being replaced with green nuts , at the price they charge its a wonder people dont drill their own hole in the end of wire nuts and spray paint them green. :)

Cavie

I like that but didnt know it would pass inspection, . :)

I just love it when someone makes this statement. You must stop and think. After doing it for over 40 years I'm guessing it is leagal. What did we do before green wirenuts????? Green wirenuts are a marketing gimmick. I wish I had invented them. Sold as a bigger and better way to do things. Have you see anything in the code book that requires us to use them??? Ever see anything disallowing red wirenuts on ground connections in the code book??? Don't know when crimps started. They were in place when I started. I guessing the started before wirenuts or about the same time after solder joints.

jetlag

Thanks cavie

Thanks cavie

I just love it when someone makes this statement. You must stop and think. After doing it for over 40 years I'm guessing it is leagal. What did we do before green wirenuts????? Green wirenuts are a marketing gimmick. I wish I had invented them. Sold as a bigger and better way to do things. Have you see anything in the code book that requires us to use them??? Ever see anything disallowing red wirenuts on ground connections in the code book??? Don't know when crimps started. They were in place when I started. I guessing the started before wirenuts or about the same time after solder joints.

Yes I remember now, when I was boy the electricians on my dads houses used the solder and tape . Then later they had the crimps with a rubber cap that covered it , I think you can still buy those. That was before the wire nuts and when the braided romex was used.

lakee911

I think twisting was legal before the solder was required, I am thinking late 40's , early 50's .

Really? It was legal at one point? I didn't know that. Before my time...

I wish it still were and they just made a requirement of x number of twists per wire and that its solidly connected yada yada.

conmgt

I've never had a problem getting a crimp off.

Maybe it's because I install them with a Buchanan crimper as opposed to smashing 'em with linesmans. A couple seconds with diagonals, and it's outta there.

I agree...I use crimps but you gotta use the Buchanan. I rarely use nuts.

I also use crimps on shared neutrals with either a snap-on cap or rubber boot. I feel it makes peolple think twice before breaking that connection live or energizing the circuits w/o reconnecting those neutrals. I don't like MWBC but they do have a place and need to be safe.

Jim W in Tampa

I did almost the same with exception of i had yellow,red and green wire nuts. It is all about speed on residential. My hammer was custom cut to exactly 12 inches to nail the boxes. Drilled every hole before first wire was pulled. Simply is no money in residential track homes unless your a monkey

barclayd

The green wire nuts are actually manufactured to comply with a different, more stringent, UL standard than are regular wire nuts.
db

Status
Not open for further replies.