garage wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently told by an inspector that the garage branch circuit had to be done with #12 nm < i looked through the code book and found nothing of to support this , we are using the 2002 nec, is this the case ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think you have given us enough information. By saying "garage circuit," as in singular, are you saying that there will only be one circuit? Is this a detached structure? What is the total load that the circuit(s) is(are) intended to serve? What were you planning on using, when this official told you it had to be NM, and that it had to be #12?

Welcome to the forum.

lakee911

Must be in reference to the one 20A circuit issue ... no?

I'm sure it could certainly be of higher gauge and I don't thnk anything disallows a 15A, no?

raider1

Staff member
Must be in reference to the one 20A circuit issue ... no?

I'm sure it could certainly be of higher gauge and I don't thnk anything disallows a 15A, no?

As a general rule there is nothing in the NEC that mandates the circuits supplying a garage be 20 amps.

Chris

sorry....this is for new construction, the load is not known as this is a spec house. the wiring is for the gfi receptacle inside the garage. after asking him why, he stated that since the washer and dryer were inside the garage it was considered a laundry circuit. I thought this was crazy, but i wanted more info before I responded back to him.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
More info is needed, however if you have 2 garage doors or one large garage door that is on the circuit with the garage receptacles, then you may need a 20 amp cir. Look at art. 210.23(A)(2)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Aside to Dennis, you posted your comment without being able to see the OP's explanation, since I had not yet had a chance to "approve" it.

We still need a bit more information, however. The NEC does require that a dwelling unit be provided with a dedicated, 20 amp, branch circuit. Is there such a circuit somewhere within the unit itself, or is the intent that the garage be the location of the unit's one and only laundry receptacle?

Also, is the garage detached, and does it therefore count as a separate structure? Finally, will there be any lights and other receptacles, or is this one receptacle going to be the only power in the garage?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
sorry....this is for new construction, the load is not known as this is a spec house. the wiring is for the gfi receptacle inside the garage. after asking him why, he stated that since the washer and dryer were inside the garage it was considered a laundry circuit. I thought this was crazy, but i wanted more info before I responded back to him.

So is it a garage circuit or a laundry circuit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The receptacle for the washer would be the laundry circuit. Nothing else is req. to be 20 amp. If he is trying to call all the garage recep. laundry recep. then I think he is crazy. :)

BTW, I always use 20 amps cir. in the garage for recep because people use table saws, etc.

raider1

Staff member
BTW, I always use 20 amps cir. in the garage for recep because people use table saws, etc.

I usually do too, but if I am wiring a spec home and it is on the cheap I will put in a 15 amp circuit.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.