green wire nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
What does that do for you? :-?

You can use the hammer to measure the height of the box by putting the handle on the ground and setting the box on the top of the hammer and then nailing it in. That way each box is the exact same height and you don't have to mess around with a tape measure and pencil.

Chris

barclayd

Got any information regarding that?

Chris

I had some discussions a couple years ago with Ideal Customer Service. I think the UL references were posted on this Forum. Basically, grounding fittings have different requirements than regular stuff.
The forum 'wisdom' at that time was that you don't have to use them - regular wire nuts can be used for ground stuff.
But - the green ones are different.
db

lakee911

no need to carry tape measure and faster. Just sit box on top of hammer and then nail it

You can use the hammer to measure the height of the box by putting the handle on the ground and setting the box on the top of the hammer and then nailing it in. That way each box is the exact same height and you don't have to mess around with a tape measure and pencil.

Oh...neat. :) Sounds like ya'll fly through residential new construction ... do your arms get tired? :D

raider1

Staff member
I had some discussions a couple years ago with Ideal Customer Service. I think the UL references were posted on this Forum. Basically, grounding fittings have different requirements than regular stuff.
The forum 'wisdom' at that time was that you don't have to use them - regular wire nuts can be used for ground stuff.
db

I don't see anyting in the UL White Book that indicates that there is a difference between a green wirenut and a standard wirenut.

Chris

barclayd

I don't see anyting in the UL White Book that indicates that there is a difference between a green wirenut and a standard wirenut.

Chris

The Ideal catalog has regular wire nuts as "UL Listed" and green wire nuts as "UL Listed for grounding applications".

Contact Ideal - they were very helpful (even about the 'twisting first' issue).
db

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Ideal catalog has regular wire nuts as "UL Listed" and green wire nuts as "UL Listed for grounding applications".

Contact Ideal - they were very helpful (even about the 'twisting first' issue).
db

IMO that's because they can only be used for grounding application.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, they have a hole in the tip. :cool:

I actually like them when I need a pigtail, but use regulars when I don't.

I don't use crimps, but I have removed and reused them when adding an EGC.

jetlag

Chris

Why would they be made different if we are not required to use them ? I can see not using the green on anything but EGC because of hole in the end and the green color . I think it was a way to offer an easier way to add and remove EGC and still have the feed thru for pigtail like a crimp, and they added the green color so they would not be installed elseware due to the hole in the end. I am stubborn enough to drill some nuts and spray with green paint , just so I can grin if the inspector doesnt know it :grin: :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

If yellow or red wire nuts pass inspection on EGC's , what is the big push for "going green" :roll:

They have advantage of having 1 less wire under the nut and that sometimes is needed. Also bit faster than adding a ground pig tail. Its not a big issue and i would not buy a bag of them unless you do a lot of romex work. Its all up to you and what ever is faster. Thankfully i got smart and got out of doing homes.

jetlag

thanks jim

thanks jim

They have advantage of having 1 less wire under the nut and that sometimes is needed. Also bit faster than adding a ground pig tail. Its not a big issue and i would not buy a bag of them unless you do a lot of romex work. Its all up to you and what ever is faster. Thankfully i got smart and got out of doing homes.

There is one less wire with the crimp also and the wire nut uses extra space not only for itself but it holds the wires off from the back of the box. Im not sold on the green nuts yet . I have seen to many wire nuts lose connection later on grounded conductors mostly because it slid back when it was installed and barely made contact for a period of time. If a grounded conductor loses connection you will know it , but if a EGC loses it you wont know until some one is shocked. ;)

Jim W in Tampa

There is one less wire with the crimp also and the wire nut uses extra space not only for itself but it holds the wires off from the back of the box. Im not sold on the green nuts yet . I have seen to many wire nuts lose connection later on grounded conductors mostly because it slid back when it was installed and barely made contact for a period of time. If a grounded conductor loses connection you will know it , but if a EGC loses it you wont know until some one is shocked. ;)
Agreed but that holds true to any connections. Problem to crimps is too few are done right.
But i have always been a twister so my greenies work and helps the country by going green.

jetlag

Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim

Agreed but that holds true to any connections. Problem to crimps is too few are done right.
But i have always been a twister so my greenies work and helps the country by going green.

I twist the egc tight before clamping down on the crimp . If you do that to a green wire nut you have defeated the purpose of being able to change the egc easily . If the EGCs are twisted any way, why use the green nut . What people wont do to go green , I give tightly twisted egc with a green nut a thumbs down. :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

I twist the egc tight before clamping down on the crimp . If you do that to a green wire nut you have defeated the purpose of being able to change the egc easily . If the EGCs are twisted any way, why use the green nut . What people wont do to go green , I give tightly twisted egc with a green nut a thumbs down. :grin:

I do not use them so that i can remove them. I simply used them for speed. If you are just as fast with a crimp then go for it. Why would you ever need to remove a ground wire ? Snip it off if you do.
The only way to win on residential is speed. Have seen some go in and do one room at a time complete then go to next. Is no one way only in houses. Bottom line is hours for dollars.

jetlag

Thanks jim

Thanks jim

I do not use them so that i can remove them. I simply used them for speed. If you are just as fast with a crimp then go for it. Why would you ever need to remove a ground wire ? Snip it off if you do.
The only way to win on residential is speed. Have seen some go in and do one room at a time complete then go to next. Is no one way only in houses. Bottom line is hours for dollars.

Agreed the nut is a little faster, i like the crimp because every thing packs neatly against the back of the box , if the green nut causes a slight delay packing every thing in the box then we are running close . maybe I am just starting to not like green things :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.