Gfi protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the current code and it's article on GFI protection of lighting over a shower that is 8' or less in ceiling height?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I looked for a requirement, and did not find one. But I wasn't certain I had looked everywhere. Most of the GFCI requirements are in 210.8, and they apply only to receptacle outlets. I think there is an occasional mention of GFCI in other obscure places, but I did not see one in 410 (the article that addresses lights).

Long answer. I suppose I should have just said that I agree with Dennis. :grin:

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
There is a restricted zone listed in 410.10(D) but even there it says nothing about GFCI's

robert pitre

Nec 410.(d)

Nec 410.(d)

No luminaires can be with in 8' of the bath tub rim,and if above 8' must be marked for damp locations and marked for wet location where subject to shower spray.
There is no where in the code that states that a GFI can be used in a 8' or less area above a tub.:cool:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
No luminaires can be with in 8' of the bath tub rim,and if above 8' must be marked for damp locations and marked for wet location where subject to shower spray.
That's not quite right:
2008 NEC
(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
The Handbook actually shows a wall sconce inside the space.

I agree with Al. 410.10(D) specifically lists the types of luminaires not permitted in the "zone".

Surface mounted luminaires and Recessed Luminaires are permitted in the "zone".
If the area is subject to shower spray, the luminaire is still permitted as long as it is listed for wet locations.
If the area is not subject to shower spray, the luminaire is still permitted, it has to be listed for damp locations or even wet locations.

images
This luminaire is listed for wet locations and can be installed anywhere in the tub enclosure (the Zone) that one would want to install it.

This luminaire is also listed for wet locations
images

So is this luminaire
images

None of the installation instructions requires GFCI protection.

Think about installing these luminaires outside...would/do you provide GFCI protection for luminaires installed outside?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I agree with Al. 410.10(D) specifically lists the types of luminaires not permitted in the "zone".

Surface mounted luminaires and Recessed Luminaires are permitted in the "zone".
If the area is subject to shower spray, the luminaire is still permitted as long as it is listed for wet locations.
If the area is not subject to shower spray, the luminaire is still permitted, it has to be listed for damp locations or even wet locations.

images
This luminaire is listed for wet locations and can be installed anywhere in the tub enclosure (the Zone) that one would want to install it.

This luminaire is also listed for wet locations
images

So is this luminaire
images

None of the installation instructions requires GFCI protection.

Think about installing these luminaires outside...would/do you provide GFCI protection for luminaires installed outside?

Granted, however my wife does not let me outside naked so it's not quite apples to apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.