08' NEC code QUESTON

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Are you asking how far the service entrance conductors are permitted to be run inside of a building before they hit the service disconnecting means?

The NEC section 230.70(A)(1) requires the sevice disconnecting means to be located outside or inside the building nearest the point of entrance.

Now some areas have amended the code to give a specific length and I believe that the State of Washington has such an amendment.

Chris

wireguy8169

I have been told no more than 3' also no more than 5' neither was in the code I would call the AHJ and make sure. I once did a service and the inspector I almost always used was away for a bit and so had another guy well just so happened this one was about 5 feet and this inspector wanted it 3 feet. He could not show me a number in the code think it said a resonable distance cant remember now , good thing 5 is longer than 3 :D cause I had to move it closer and just barely could cause of a wall, thats why if its an issue call first will save any heartach...oh this was a residential job by the way..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many areas have their own amendments or guidelines however as stated by the honorable Chris Rocker Raider, there are no numbers given in the NEC.

iwire

Staff member
I agree it is a local call, on this forum people have posted anywhere from 0' to 50', the area I am in seems to be about 5'

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This was something NC came up with years ago but it is only a guideline. I think it is a bit odd. Not sure anyone uses it.

?
The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance states its position relative to 230-70(a) NEC? as follows:
?"Service entrance conductors routed from their point of entrance into the structure, to their point of attachment to the service enclosure a distance horizontally not more than twice the nominal width of the service enclosure and vertically not more than the greater of 5 feet or twice the nominal height of the service enclosure shall be considered to be in compliance with the requirements of 230-70(a) of the current National Electrical Code. Service entrance conductors may be routed in the most direct route or at right angles. Service entrance conductors in excess of these specified limits will not be allowed unless specifically authorized by special permission from the electrical inspector having jurisdiction to accommodate adverse site conditions which would not reasonably allow installation within this criteria."
?By stating such interpretation, it is specifically not the intent of this Division to encourage the utilization of excessive lengths of service conductors when more direct routes are otherwise available; nor, to discourage local jurisdictions from allowing lengths beyond those specified when reasonable prudence and judgment would indicate reasonable necessity to accommodate safety or adverse site conditions. This Division will however render Code interpretations pertaining to 230-70(a) within these constraints and refer requests for special permission exclusively to the electrical inspector having jurisdiction.

sammitch

I am in Seattle and read a inspecters ding page that pointed it out in the NEC that said 15' spacificlly.I cant find that spacific stating 15' is it there?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am in Seattle and read a inspecters ding page that pointed it out in the NEC that said 15' spacificlly.I cant find that spacific stating 15' is it there?

As Chris already stated the NEC does not specify a specific distance. It's up to the AHJ to determine what the words "inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors" means.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I suspect if it is more than 15' then he may have a point as the NEC is written even though no numbers are given. Are you sure there isn't a local amendment.

Generally, my service cables are not more than 4 feet to the enclosure and often less.

JOHNDRUM

If you have a 2005 handbook available, which there have been no changes made to this article, look at their explanation. There is no maximum distance specified. Only that there is a readily accessable service disconnect nearest the point of entrance. It however is strictly an AHJ call.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Don't know he didn't name the methods. You would have to ask Tom.:confused:

Just wondering because I have some people say that for rigid conduit inspectors would allow a longer length. IMO if you're enforcing the NEC the length permitted must be same for every wiring method.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Before I moved to NC they would allow you to go across the entire crawl space if the conductors were in emt or rigid. Guess they thought that was outside the house. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.