Making CAT-5 male ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there anything special I need to know about making up CAT-5 male ends. I don't have the tool yet but I can't imagine that it's that difficult. Is there any reason I need to make up cables other than straight thru as shown on this site : http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm ?

The job I'm bidding on will be using three of these Antminer S9 bitcoin units initially and possible three more in the future :

https://miningwarehouses.com/bitcoi...MI5bm87Lna1gIVxkSGCh3xvgu4EAAYAiAAEgJ2O_D_BwE

The specs show that they draw 1375 watts each so it seems that I will not be able to run two of these on one 15 or 20 amp circuit. If any of you have any experience with these items would you please post it here ? There is one 20A circuit already available in the location where they will be installed. I'm thinking I can run another 20A MWBC to handle the other two unless there is a problem with these units running with a shared neutral. If the HO's are serious about installing the other three I may install a sub-panel.

Thanks

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
cable must be stranded.
be prepared for re-do's if this is your 1st time crimping cat5 heads onto presumably cat5 cable.

the pinout is whatever is needed. is it ethernet or something other? the site you provide is good for ethernet straight, aka "T568B", another way is "T568A".

i might however suggest you just buy already made cable. why do you need to make it up?

Last edited:

Wyo721

Just remember the configurations are spec for different equip.

Just remember the configurations are spec for different equip.

ethcablerj45cr.gif

Follow manufacturers spec to make the connections would be the best way.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
post #3, you would not make the ends one of each. its either 568A on both ends, or 568B on both ends, for std ethernet.

if its non ethernet and you just need straight, then put the pairs in side by side the same way on both ends, this way there is no need to pull one wire from green or orange pair across the head, etc.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
post #3, you would not make the ends one of each. its either 568A on both ends, or 568B on both ends, for std ethernet.

if its non ethernet and you just need straight, then put the pairs in side by side the same way on both ends, this way there is no need to pull one wire from green or orange pair across the head, etc.
If you do not terminate both conductors of each pair onto a standard pinout, then you will be sending some signals down untwisted pairs with catastrophic effects on crosstalk, noise sensitivity, and impedance matching.
Just ending up with a 1-1 correspondence from end to end is *NOT* good enough.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wyo721

Power via Ethernet cable is sometimes run to low wattage equipment

Power via Ethernet cable is sometimes run to low wattage equipment

My internet is run via an Antenna which is powered thru the cable and a straight connection could take out a modem so again ask or read the spec on the equipment.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
My internet is run via an Antenna which is powered thru the cable and a straight connection could take out a modem so again ask or read the spec on the equipment.
A link that uses POE has a clear and expensive vulnerability to miswiring.
A good cable tester will fail FZ's connection.

JFletcher

Buy pre-made patch cables. You can get them any length from 6" to 25'. Deep Surplus or Monoprice have every conceivable patch cord you may need

Male plugs are almost never installed in the field. Typically house wiring goes from a keystone in a wall plate to a patch panel (or a 66 or 110 block for telephone). From there, a patch cable goes to a switch. On the user end, a patch cable goes from keystone to your PC, POS, access point, etc.

If you have to use a male plug, get the RJ 45 EZ type where the wires pass thru the connector:

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Searc...AIt90S3Ruj638zn1DqekBxJgAIcHsIN9uKxoCMTjw_wcB

Much easier to use and is less prone to install error. Some of those plugs fit only solid wire, some only stranded, some both. I'm of the opinion that you never put plugs on solid wire, but your house wiring is almost always solid - another reason patch cords are used.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What JFletcher said. I might add that you only use stranded wire for patch cords. It should NEVER be used for premises wiring because patch panels and jacks only handle solid.

Off topic, but what the heck is bitcoin mining? These machines use 1375w each? A homeowner is using them?? A google explanation makes brain surgery seem simple.

-Hal

FionaZuppa

Occupation
If you do not terminate both conductors of each pair onto a standard pinout, then you will be sending some signals down untwisted pairs with catastrophic effects on crosstalk, noise sensitivity, and impedance matching.
Just ending up with a 1-1 correspondence from end to end is *NOT* good enough.

i suspect not, the twisted pairs of cat5/6 cable stay twisted end-to-end until they reach the crimp head, no matter what pinout you use. 568A/B is ethernet, but really have no idea whats needed by OP. i was just noting that keeping pairs side-by-side is easier to deal with IF it can work that way for the application.

and no, i have crimped many times straights using side-by-side pairs for ethernet w/o catastrophic results for 1Gb ethernet. 568B is indeed most common and the right way.

a straight cable is a straight cable, it makes no diff how the pairs are, will not damage anything, even with POE.

Buy pre-made patch cables. You can get them any length from 6" to 25'. Deep Surplus or Monoprice have every conceivable patch cord you may need.
get the RJ 45 EZ type where the wires pass thru the connector:

Much easier to use and is less prone to install error. Some of those plugs fit only solid wire, some only stranded, some both. I'm of the opinion that you never put plugs on solid wire, but your house wiring is almost always solid - another reason patch cords are used.
yep, buy pre-made stuff, much easier, less headache, the only con is perhaps not a perfect fit as you usually need to buy something longer than what is actually needed.

a lot of folks do not like the pass-through ez heads, they leave the wires exposed, you really need a good nipper to make clean close cuts, not worth the risk for me. std heads, pinch the wires tight, wiggle them in until the bottom out. the cheapy crimp heads are a problem most of the time for one reason or another.

you can use solid to make patch cords, but be ready to re-crimp ;), i'd say 1 out of every 10 end up with an issue. always crimp with stranded.

my set of cable/connectors/crimpers/cutters is for last sec repair work, otherwise i just buy the cables.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There are also "Crossover cables" that are used to directly connect computers or devices. They have a couple of wires switched end to end (send on one end is receive on the other).

From Wikipedia:

An Ethernet crossover cable is a type of Ethernet cable used to connect computing devices together directly. It is most often used to connect two devices of the same type: e.g. two computers (via network interface controller) or two switches to each other. By contrast, patch cables or straight through cables are used to connect devices of different types, such as a computer to a network switch or Ethernet hub.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
There are also "Crossover cables" that are used to directly connect computers or devices. They have a couple of wires switched end to end (send on one end is receive on the other).

From Wikipedia:

An Ethernet crossover cable is a type of Ethernet cable used to connect computing devices together directly. It is most often used to connect two devices of the same type: e.g. two computers (via network interface controller) or two switches to each other. By contrast, patch cables or straight through cables are used to connect devices of different types, such as a computer to a network switch or Ethernet hub.

true.
they also have roll-over cat5's for other connections, and null-modem, and other pinouts.

OP showed std straight ethernet, not sure what the actual application is.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Installing the ends on these cables isn't rocket science, in fact it's quite easy. If you can buy the connectors that allow the wire to pass through so you can see how the pairs will end up after you crimp. I push them all the way in, do a quick visual check and then cut off the excess with my scissors. A slight pull back on the jacket allows the cut ends to be flush with the end of the connector.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Installing the ends on these cables isn't rocket science, in fact it's quite easy. If you can buy the connectors that allow the wire to pass through so you can see how the pairs will end up after you crimp. I push them all the way in, do a quick visual check and then cut off the excess with my scissors. A slight pull back on the jacket allows the cut ends to be flush with the end of the connector.

i bet ya any 1st timer will cut into the wires trying to just cut the jacket.
not rocket science in procedure, but tricky to execute.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i bet ya any 1st timer will cut into the wires trying to just cut the jacket.
not rocket science in procedure, but tricky to execute.

To OP, for this reason, leave the cable long and use the wick to strip it back where you need to crimp or punchdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
i suspect not, the twisted pairs of cat5/6 cable stay twisted end-to-end until they reach the crimp head, no matter what pinout you use. 568A/B is ethernet, but really have no idea whats needed by OP. i was just noting that keeping pairs side-by-side is easier to deal with IF it can work that way for the application.

and no, i have crimped many times straights using side-by-side pairs for ethernet w/o catastrophic results for 1Gb ethernet. 568B is indeed most common and the right way.

a straight cable is a straight cable, it makes no diff how the pairs are, will not damage anything, even with POE.

yep, buy pre-made stuff, much easier, less headache, the only con is perhaps not a perfect fit as you usually need to buy something longer than what is actually needed.

a lot of folks do not like the pass-through ez heads, they leave the wires exposed, you really need a good nipper to make clean close cuts, not worth the risk for me. std heads, pinch the wires tight, wiggle them in until the bottom out. the cheapy crimp heads are a problem most of the time for one reason or another.

you can use solid to make patch cords, but be ready to re-crimp ;), i'd say 1 out of every 10 end up with an issue. always crimp with stranded.

my set of cable/connectors/crimpers/cutters is for last sec repair work, otherwise i just buy the cables.

What you are missing is that any application expects pins 3 and 6 to be a pair and pins 4 and 5 to be a pair.
You cannot just say that all pins are connected by twisted pairs end to end. The application will put balanced + and - signals on the two wires of what it thinks are a pair.
You have been lucky to get away with what you did because some applications use only the 1-2 and 7-8 pairs in the first place.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If you are working on a typical certified system that must fully comply with TIA standards, it is required that all horizontal cable terminate in a jack. Male modular connectors are not allowed under the standard to be attached to cabling.
I will say though that there is a move to change this to accommodate the many types of installations today such as access points, cameras, etc where a jack and patch cord can be problematic.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Off topic, but what the heck is bitcoin mining? These machines use 1375w each? A homeowner is using them?? A google explanation makes brain surgery seem simple.

bitcoin mining takes a lot of power.
as a reward for crunching blockchain info,
a random drawing is held to award bitcoins.
that is how the thing funds it's development.

the blockchain algorithm finally tapers off,
and caps the amount of bitcoins in circulation.

when it was 50 people doing this as a lark on
alt.cryptography on usenet, you could run
the compiler in the background on your home PC,
and win some coins mining, as there were a couple
hundred people doing it was all. as it grew in popularity,
and reached a critical mass, so many people were running
the software that your chances of winning bitcoins were
almost nonexistant. then the arms race started. faster and
faster computers, tailored to mine for bitcoins. some folks
started doing the mining from iceland, i read, as they had
the cheapest electricity.

the originator of the blockchain, who was the first miner,
has accumulated an awful lot of bitcoin, and when bitcoin
peaked last week, his coins were worth approx $5 billion.

as the primary purpose of bitcoin is to move money between
users without governmental constraint, taxes, or regulation,
and the amount of bitcoins is fixed, people buy and sell bitcoins,
using them to ferry money from point A to point B, often untraceably.

so the value of bitcoin is a global index of neurosis, and right now,
the world is trying to hide acorns, as nobody knows what is happening
next. so they are trying to shove eleventeen pounds into a five pound
bag.

seven years ago, i bought some bitcoins. i later disposed of them.
if i'd bought $1,000 worth of them seven years back, two weeks ago,
i could have sold them for $4.5 million, tax free, into any currency
on the planet.

drat.

Status
Not open for further replies.