Single rec on branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

We all know that a single rec on a dedicated line must match or exceed the circuit's rating, for example a 20a rec on a 15a or 20a circuit. Now, does this still apply when installed on a multi-outlet circuit? For example, can I use a 20a single rec when extending a 15a multi-outlet circuit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We all know that a single rec on a dedicated line must match or exceed the circuit's rating, for example a 20a rec on a 15a or 20a circuit. Now, does this still apply when installed on a multi-outlet circuit? For example, can I use a 20a single rec when extending a 15a multi-outlet circuit?

No , look at Table 210.21(B)(3) A 15 amp circuit cannot have a 20 amp rec.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Now, does this still apply when installed on a multi-outlet circuit?

No it doesn't apply to multi-outlet circuits. A 15A receptacle can be installed on a 20A multi-outlet circuit.

For example, can I use a 20a single rec when extending a 15a multi-outlet circuit?

As Dennis noted, no you cannot put a 20A rec on a 15A multi-outlet circuit, per T210.21(B)(3).

No it doesn't apply to multi-outlet circuits. A 15A receptacle can be installed on a 20A multi-outlet circuit.

As Dennis noted, no you cannot put a 20A rec on a 15A multi-outlet circuit, per T210.21(B)(3).

I had to explain this to someone else about the 'single' receptacle. Does anyone think this rule should be changed or deleted?? You have a 'duplex' 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, but u cannot have a 'single' 15 amp on that same circuit.

Basically a guy was told to change the single 15 amp to a 15 amp duplex at the same outlet to be compliant. I have to agree with him to some degree that it seems pointless at times, but it is a NEC requirement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Basically a guy was told to change the single 15 amp to a 15 amp duplex at the same outlet to be compliant. I have to agree with him to some degree that it seems pointless at times, but it is a NEC requirement.

Not really pointless since the two 15 amp receptacle (one duplex) will each safely carry up to 15 amps. Their configuration would only allow a 15 amp plug to be inserted into each receptacle. So you could run 2-10 amps loads at the same time or any combination of a 20 amp load.

Not really pointless since the two 15 amp receptacle (one duplex) will each safely carry up to 15 amps. Their configuration would only allow a 15 amp plug to be inserted into each receptacle. So you could run 2-10 amps loads at the same time or any combination of a 20 amp load.

I'm still not seeing your point. A single 15 amp can carry up to 15 amps too and configuration will only allow a 15 amp plug to go in. So the 20 amp circuit is never exceeded. We only do it this way because the NEC says so. Not sure what the 'safety' issue would be seeing how the 'duplex' 15 amp receptacle can be installed on the 20 amp.
When I had to tell this guy that it was a code violation with the single he did question about what is the 'safety' issue. I really couldn't come up with one, only that the NEC requires it.

Status
Not open for further replies.