What version of UL when referenced in NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

publicgood

When 70E is referenced in the NEC I see informational notes in the code calling out the year by 70E-2015. I don’t see, however, the same version reference for UL standards. In Annex A there is a list of standards with notes saying these standards could change.

Is the most current version of a referenced UL assumed? Is this documented in the code somewhere?

Example: UL 1008 version 7 has some large changes for transfer switches. Do all manufacturers need to comply with the 7th edition or is it good enough that they are simply UL listed?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
When 70E is referenced in the NEC I see informational notes in the code calling out the year by 70E-2015. I don’t see, however, the same version reference for UL standards. In Annex A there is a list of standards with notes saying these standards could change.

Is the most current version of a referenced UL assumed? Is this documented in the code somewhere?

Example: UL 1008 version 7 has some large changes for transfer switches. Do all manufacturers need to comply with the 7th edition or is it good enough that they are simply UL listed?
IMO (with very strong emphasis) as long as the NEC only requires the equipment be listed, it does not matter what version of the standard it has obtained that listing. If the NEC specifies the equipment must meet the requirements of a particular listing version or the most current version, then you have to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.