Stove Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a cord and plug residential oven considered a permanently connected appliance by 422.31? The wattage would certainly qualify under 422.31, but being it is cord and plug, would this further require a disconnect? Not to be short but I'm looking for the technical answer not the "how it's done here" thing. I know how it's done locally (state I mean), but in this case local rule doesn't apply.

Secondly is there a specific requirement that I've missed for a residential oven, stove or rangetop in a kitchen open to residents of a nursing home that would specify a seperate locking disconnect per NEC?

The cord an plug issue or disconnect issue is to protect a serviceman, not the end user from burns; The cord and plug also seems to me to meet the requirement for a diconnect IMO. Is there a seperate requirement for residential cooking appliances located in a commercial setting? So far I've been unable to find one although I've been cited for this disconnect not being installed.

I've never seen a requirement for the disconnect unless 422.31 includes plug and cord appliances.

If 422.31 does mean to include an oven, rangetop or stove, wouldn't a simple locking breaker suffice to meet this if not in plain sight?

iwire

Staff member
422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.

(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and
Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an
accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and
receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting
means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle
are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances
shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance
with 422.31.

(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cordand-
plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment
plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a
range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a
drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of
422.33(A).

Admittedly I did overlook that specific portion of the section, however that still doesn't address the question of residential cooking appliances installed in a commercial setting. I've been led to believe this was in the NEC. Having worked in the electrical field previously, I've never seen this.

That location requirement is the one that really got me because I'm being told that's most of the reason for the disconnect. I fail to believe this.

However I do admit after reading in some circumstances the disconnect would be required for appliances, i.e. 422.33 that you quoted and 422.31 that I previously mentioned, I doubted my thinking. All the same, I haven't found anything even close to this reasoning for a disconnect listed per code.

Food for thought: The NEC is obviously a section of the NFPA and the NFPA would require a commercial suppression hood instead of a normal residential hood to be installed depending on the setting, use etc. This fuels the fire for me to dig further just to know I know. :)

But to be blunt, a disconnect to prevent injuries by "use" of the stove is ludicrous IMO. How far do you take that? A disconnect on a fan? Toaster? Hotplate? All of these are allowed in a Nursing Home. The intent of the NEC is not to prevent injuries by consumer appliances used incorrectly. It's to prevent injuries and fire from normal correct use, maintenance, and wear and tear.

Team-MEI

Inactive, Email Never Verified
It is not uncommon at all within a nursing home type environment to provide both; a disconnect back at a controlled supervised area such as a nurses room and the cord/plug behind the stove/oven unit. Disconnect is usually locked in the off position until supervised cooking activities are taking place.

Jim W in Tampa

It is not uncommon at all within a nursing home type environment to provide both; a disconnect back at a controlled supervised area such as a nurses room and the cord/plug behind the stove/oven unit. Disconnect is usually locked in the off position until supervised cooking activities are taking place.

That is not NEC issue, just an extra safety measure for other than normal reasons such as service

That is not NEC issue, just an extra safety measure for other than normal reasons such as service

And that was my point of contention over this citation. I'm being told it's a code violation and I'm pretty sure it's not. The problem is "best practices" aren't code. And while I don't disagree it may be a good idea to add a device, if it's not code - it's just not code...period.

macmikeman

You still need to pay attention to the wording difference between oven and range. Although seldom enforced, built in ovens are not allowed to be hooked up without some sort of disconnecting means, unless in direct line of sight from the panel. When enforced, may I suggest using a breaker locking kit to satisfy the code requirement.

Why built in ovens? If you can reach behind it and unplug it from the drawer it's still cord and plug is it not? per 422.33(b)

Not sure i follow your problem. 1st you comply with the min to satisfy NEC. If you want additional disconnects i see nothing to stop you.

I was cited as not meeting the minimum for not having an "additional disconnect". If it was required, I don't mind. But I was told that because the residential equipment is installed in a commercial setting it has to have the disconnect. Uhmmm...No, it doesn't.

Apparently we'll be putting it in whether it's required by code or not however.

kwired

Electron manager
Why don't you ask the person citing the failure what code and section is in violation. It is not the NEC. If other codes apply then that is just the way it is. Nursing homes are horrible for having all kinds of regulations that are not a part of the NEC, some of it is agencies that do the inspecting that have nothing better to do than create all kinds of chaos just so they will have a job, the nursing homes administration will not stand up to any requests to enforce ridiculous codes either because they are plagued with so much of this they don't even look into it and just do what inspectors ask. That is all types of inspections not just electrical, electrical appears to be a minor thing compared to other inspections.

Jim W in Tampa

As said it is not NEC issue for more than one.
My guess is either it was in the specs or another code. Inspector should be willing to site the number.
One way out is provide breaker locks or door lock on electrical room.

Personally i am not sure that adding this type of additional protection is safe.
It is inviting a hazard that could start a fire. What could happen is management / staff ,turns all of the range breakers off. Now the tenant is use to range being dead and stores things on top. If they accidently turned range on we have the first step to a fire. Staff turns on wrong breaker and i think you can figure out the rest.

eprice

Personally i am not sure that adding this type of additional protection is safe.
It is inviting a hazard that could start a fire. What could happen is management / staff ,turns all of the range breakers off. Now the tenant is use to range being dead and stores things on top. If they accidently turned range on we have the first step to a fire. Staff turns on wrong breaker and i think you can figure out the rest.

Well, we're all speculating at the moment, since we don't know where the code requirement comes from (if there is a code requirement) and we don't know how the code requirement is actually worded, but if it pertains to rest homes, depending on how it is worded, I can see that there could be a safety benefit. Residents in nursing homes can become forgetful, confused, an/or disoriented. I can see where it would be good for the staff to have a way to prevent an unsupervised resident from turning on the range and then getting burned or going off somewhere else, leaving it on.

Jim W in Tampa

Well, we're all speculating at the moment, since we don't know where the code requirement comes from (if there is a code requirement) and we don't know how the code requirement is actually worded, but if it pertains to rest homes, depending on how it is worded, I can see that there could be a safety benefit. Residents in nursing homes can become forgetful, confused, an/or disoriented. I can see where it would be good for the staff to have a way to prevent an unsupervised resident from turning on the range and then getting burned or going off somewhere else, leaving it on.
I totaly agree with the idea. I do wonder how they could afford to have anyone oversee such. Your answer will need to come from that inspector. I would assume he can direct you to the rules and if asked nicely might suggest some easy ways to satisfy the code.
I see this idea as 2 sided as to the good it does and the liability that they take in event it goes south.
Keep us advised of out come

kwired

Electron manager
Residents in nursing homes can become forgetful, confused, an/or disoriented. I can see where it would be good for the staff to have a way to prevent an unsupervised resident from turning on the range and then getting burned or going off somewhere else, leaving it on.

How about finding better ways to keep them out of the food service area, laundry area, mechanical rooms, etc. Isn't keeping some people out of danger from these type of things one reason they are residents in the first place? I don't think some of the rules like this thread is about have much to do with resident safety as residents are generally not allowed in that area, I think these rules are for employee safety. Sometimes they can still come up with rules that absolutely make no sense however. Someone was probably injured at some time for not disconnecting power and now who ever makes the rules thinks a disconnect will fix that problem - but they don't realize that a cord and plug is a disconnect and they do make LOTO devices that can lock a cord cap so it can not be plugged in. In fact they are harder to defeat than some breaker lock devices.

Jim W in Tampa

The problem is many people as they get old come to that fine line of can they live alone and be safe. Many live in apartments for retired people. Some do reach a point of they are in danger of walking away from a range they turned on and forgot.

kwired

Electron manager
The problem is many people as they get old come to that fine line of can they live alone and be safe. Many live in apartments for retired people. Some do reach a point of they are in danger of walking away from a range they turned on and forgot.

And what will installing an additional disconnect do prevent this?

In the OP if shut off in instance of fire is the goal then you wouldn't want the disconnect right next to the range, you may need addtional disconnects for other ranges or other appliances. A better setup would be an emergency stop button and shunt trip breakers for all appliances needing shut down.

Jim W in Tampa

And what will installing an additional disconnect do prevent this?

In the OP if shut off in instance of fire is the goal then you wouldn't want the disconnect right next to the range, you may need addtional disconnects for other ranges or other appliances. A better setup would be an emergency stop button and shunt trip breakers for all appliances needing shut down.

Your looking at it wrong. The idea is that staff would keep them turned off and only turn on when they could oversee the use. Personally i think that is not practical from a $$$$$$$$$$$$ view. Perhaps if money is no issue it would serve a purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.