overhead service conductor clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

I received a call today form a Realtor that is selling a house she represents the seller

Buyer had Home inspector inspect property and sited the overhead service from the POCO Pole are to low. the house was built in 1953.
I have to go out and look at this job tomorrow . I have run into older homes were the service conductors were only 8 foot off the ground.

Question is can somebody tell me what the Code was in 1953 for overhead clearances on residential settings?
I am believing that the service is original to house and is still enforces to the code the date the house was built.
Thanks.
Cameron

480sparky

From the 1953 NEC:

"2322. Clearance of Service Drop. Service drop swhass be readily accissible and shall conform to the following:
a. Conductors Over Roof. Conductors shall have a clearance of not less than 8 ft. from the highest point of roofs over which they pass, except where the voltage between conductors dot not exceed 300 and the roof cannot be readily walked upon, the clearance whall be not less than 3 feet.
b. Clearance from Ground. Conductors shall have a clearance of not less than 10 feet from the ground or from any platform or projection from which they might be reached. See Section 7323.
c. Clearance from Building Openings. Conductors shall have a clearance of not less than 36 inches from windows, door, porches, fire escapes, or similar locations."

Now you need to find out if the AHJ had adopted the 1953 NEC when the house was wired.

Riograndeelectric

Thanks you for the great reply and so fast.

how did you find the 1953 code article?
Can you go to NFPA online and look at previous codes>
this is big help to me.

have a Great Weekend!!:grin:
thanks again.

I will check with the city on Monday to if they had adopted the 1953 code
Cameron

480sparky

how did you find the 1953 code article?
Can you go to NFPA online and look at previous codes>

I cheat.

2010Septembersmall.jpg

rgiraldo

Wow you have all off them? Or a digital database?
I only have the first code book, but it was a reprint from Tom Henry

kwired

Electron manager
Even if it was allowed at time of installation I would suggest changing it anyhow if the clearance is only 8 feet. That can be an accident waiting to happen. 8 feet, in many cases, can be contacted easily without the use of a ladder.

PetrosA

I don't know what rules govern where this drop is, but in PECO territory when there are situations where drops are below the allowed height because of the architectural layout of the building, the AHJ and a PECO representative may accept the installation. Luckily it's a rare thing to deal with - last time was a few years back on a home built in the 1930s that had a drop about 8' above grade. It would have cost thousands of dollars just to move the drop up to a legal height and away from windows etc. (it would have meant installing a mast somewhere in the center of the roof, rigid pipe down and around a three bay dormer window, penetrating the soffit, and moving the meter base). Both the AHJ and PECO understood this and accepted the argument that since the installation has been in existence for that many decades without incident, the likelihood of something happening was nil.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what rules govern where this drop is, but in PECO territory when there are situations where drops are below the allowed height because of the architectural layout of the building, the AHJ and a PECO representative may accept the installation. Luckily it's a rare thing to deal with - last time was a few years back on a home built in the 1930s that had a drop about 8' above grade. It would have cost thousands of dollars just to move the drop up to a legal height and away from windows etc. (it would have meant installing a mast somewhere in the center of the roof, rigid pipe down and around a three bay dormer window, penetrating the soffit, and moving the meter base). Both the AHJ and PECO understood this and accepted the argument that since the installation has been in existence for that many decades without incident, the likelihood of something happening was nil.

Did they issue a letter stating the potential problems and current standards and have the owner sign it just in case something does happen that they will have proof that the owner was warned that it was not up to current standards?

Cavie

Even if it was allowed at time of installation I would suggest changing it anyhow if the clearance is only 8 feet. That can be an accident waiting to happen. 8 feet, in many cases, can be contacted easily without the use of a ladder.

Around here that is a POCO call. Homes are inspected without the drop most of the time. Inspector never sees it.

growler

I received a call today form a Realtor that is selling a house she represents the seller

Buyer had Home inspector inspect property and sited the overhead service from the POCO Pole are to low. the house was built in 1953.
I have to go out and look at this job tomorrow . I have run into older homes were the service conductors were only 8 foot off the ground.

Is it really all that hard for electricians to understand that a "home inspection" is not a "code inspection".

Items listed on a "Home Inspection Report" are item of concern for the home inspector because he thinks they may have a negative effect on the home value or pose a problem for the buyer.

Even if you get the AHJ to agree to grandfather in the service height it still may not satisfy the home inspector or the buyer.

When you buy a house you may not be satisfied with code minimum and it all depends on how much you are willing to spend to get something better.

Why turn down down work when it's more profitable to see how much it will cost to raise that sucker. :)

kwired

Electron manager
Around here that is a POCO call. Homes are inspected without the drop most of the time. Inspector never sees it.

Who are the lawyers going to try to blame if there is an incident. If I am asked to inspect a home I am going to mention it in a report of deficincies, it is up to owners to change it or leave it but that helps switch the liability to them if they were warned.

growler

It would have cost thousands of dollars just to move the drop up to a legal height and away from windows etc. (it would have meant installing a mast somewhere in the center of the roof, rigid pipe down and around a three bay dormer window, penetrating the soffit, and moving the meter base).

Anyone ever think about running an underground service? It's not always possible but many times that is a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.