Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removal of Abandoned Comm / Lo Voltage Wiring

Removal of Abandoned Comm / Lo Voltage Wiring

Is anyone aware of a change int he Code requiremnt to remove abandoned comm wiring that includes a time frame? We are moving our call center and this requires tearing down all the modular furniture. This will leave the drop cables termionated in the closets but loose on the floor.

During our weekly project update meeting the Project manager stated that he doesn't have to worry about removal as he has six months to declare the cable "abandoned". Upon my querring him fuurther he stated its in the code.

My transmission engineer and I have reviewed the 2005, 2008 (which we believ to be the code Detroit is using) and the 2011 code but cannot find any referecne to a six month or other time frame in which to declare the wiring as abandoned and need to remove it.

Are we missing something?? or is this project manager confused??

Thank you,
    Dennis Hock
    DTE Energy
    Detroit, MI

Are you still going to maintain the space for another use. If so I would coil up the cable and label it for future use. The time frame may be langauge in the lease or local building code, you are correct there is no definite time frame listed in the NEC.
    Joe

"The Difficult we can do, the Impossible just takes a little longer"

I believe the requirement for removing abandoned cable is found in several places in the NEC, 800.25 being one.

The definition of abandoned communications cable found in 800.2 just says that it is not terminated at both ends and not labeled as future with a tag. No time limit. So the instant it is disconnected on both ends without a future tag, it needs to be removed.
    Ron

Removal of Abandoned Comm - Lo-Voltage Wiring

Ron and Joe,

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. In answer to Joes questions we do not intend to reuse the building and are exiting it with real estate trying to sell it. To Rons comment, yes that is what I thought as well. The minute it becomes disconnected and is no longer tagged and terminated it needs to be removed.

As Joe pointed out maybe there is some local code requirement that overrides but as the building is in Southfield, MI and they are pretty strigent I can't imagine that being the case here.

Thanks for the good advice as always,

Dennis Hock

I don't remember where I saw it but I vaguely remember, probably new for the next code cycle, where a tenant will have to remove all LV wiring and devices from a space upon leaving and restore it to the way it was when they moved in. Tagging will no longer allowed, everything must go, period.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I don't remember where I saw it but I vaguely remember, probably new for the next code cycle, where a tenant will have to remove all LV wiring and devices from a space upon leaving and restore it to the way it was when they moved in. Tagging will no longer allowed, everything must go, period.

-Hal
    I for one would be very interested where you read that. (no pressure)

Removal of Abandoned Comm Lo Voltage Wiring

I believe I too recall reading that some where but for the life of me I cannot recall where. So I would also be interested if you happen to recall where it was you read it. Seems in closing that our project manager is confused.

we have been having some words as he doesn't want to provison the telecom closet wiring per section 400.8 USES NOT PERMITTED for flexible cords and cables. Seems some of our people think nothing of putting in an extension cord for decades rather than coming up with budget to fisx appropriately.

Dennis Hock

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post

-Hal
    I hope that is untrue or does not happen, to me that goes beyond anything that the code should require.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    ... to me that goes beyond anything that the code should require.
    When has that idea ever stopped a new code rule
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    When has that idea ever stopped a new code rule

I can dream ....