Light Fixture Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RochOAR

Tonight I went to change out a lightbulb in the fixture that hangs over our kitchen table. I took the old bulb out, threw it away, then pulled a new bulb out of the box. I reached into the socket with the new bulb and POP all the lights in the fixture went out. I pulled the bulb out and realized it was too small for the socket and obviously I tripped something or blew out the fixture. I took the bulbs out an tested the bulbs in another fixture and they work fine, so it is definitely something electrical. Even though the circuit wasn't tripped, I turned it on and off, but the lights still wouldn't turn on. If it means anything, it is a dual switch and the other switch turns the other light fixture on and off. I'm trying to figure if this is something major/problematic or if its something minor. Any help?

And yes, I feel dumb being the guy who literally failed changing a lightbulb.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

And yes, I feel dumb being the guy who literally failed changing a lightbulb.
And yes, I feel even worse for being the moderator who turned away a DIY question about changing a light bulb ( :D ), but it still falls outside the scope of this forum. Good luck in your search for answers. :)

RochOAR

George I understand completely if you close it, but help me out by letting me know if this is something that will burn down my house tonight. Seriously, I can't sleep and the internet is of no help. I try to give people legal advice when they need a quick answer, so try to be kind to me as well.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Note to self: Upon announcing closure of a thread, close the thread. :D

If you're worried, the best bet is to shut off the switch and/or breaker supplying the light, and call a professional in the morning.

So, once again, good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.