Stranded thhn on recptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi yall, Do you have to crimp on a fork or ring to install stranded wire on a receptacle? Someone told me it was code and I have yet to find it. Thanks

pete m.

It would depend on the size of the wire and the installation instructions for the specific device.

Pete

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I remember correctly all devices are listed to be used with up to #10 AWG stranded conductors. 110.14(A).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We try to always use them because IMO it's a better installation. This guy was too lazy to use one. I spent almost two days trying to find the unintentional ground on an IG system in a Broadway theater because of this:

IMG_0329.JPG

Strife

Looking at the picture, it seems the ground did its job even though it wasn't done properly.
The second thing is: it seems the ground actually has a plate to just rest the wire under it. Why didn't the original installer use it? I know, because he was just taught to twist around, no matter what. But that leads me to what I've always said: "you can not build an idiotproof "thing", someones will (ALWAYS) build a better idiot"

And looking even further down the picture I can tell the installer was NOT A PROFESSIONAL. He even taped the wire nut, so he's aware of how dangerous electricity can be. He TRIED, he REALLY tried. Not to mention the cut strands on the #10. This picture should be in the "can you identify the violations?" section.

We try to always use them because IMO it's a better installation. This guy was too lazy to use one. I spent almost two days trying to find the unintentional ground on an IG system in a Broadway theater because of this:

IMG_0329.JPG

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looking at the picture, it seems the ground did its job even though it wasn't done properly.
It's an IG receptacle, and the sloppy EGC termination caused the isolated green screw to have contact with the mounting strap, effectively defeating the IG.

The second thing is: it seems the ground actually has a plate to just rest the wire under it.
I believe you're seeing the EGC connection, not a pressure plate. I might have used a forked terminal here myself.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The second thing is: it seems the ground actually has a plate to just rest the wire under it. Why didn't the original installer use it? I know, because he was just taught to twist around, no matter what. But that leads me to what I've always said: "you can not build an idiotproof "thing", someones will (ALWAYS) build a better idiot"

And looking even further down the picture I can tell the installer was NOT A PROFESSIONAL. He even taped the wire nut, so he's aware of how dangerous electricity can be. He TRIED, he REALLY tried. Not to mention the cut strands on the #10. This picture should be in the "can you identify the violations?" section.

For the record the receptacle does not have a plate on the IG terminal. If this weren't an IG no one would have ever found the problem.

Strife

I tend to use fork connectors with ground screws on devices,... cause it's faster. They give me a headache trying to do them otherwise. But that DEFINITELY looks like a pressure plate for the ground. I know it's not common, but I've seen them around...Just did a GFI today and it saved me 5 minutes not having to go back and get my crimper and find the fork connector. I know, by now you'd think I'd bring them with me automatically when I change, especially, a GFI (with their little frakked ground screw), but... we're all humans after all...aren't we?

It's an IG receptacle, and the sloppy EGC termination caused the isolated green screw to have contact with the mounting strap, effectively defeating the IG.

I believe you're seeing the EGC connection, not a pressure plate. I might have used a forked terminal here myself.

Strife

For the record the receptacle does not have a plate on the IG terminal. If this weren't an IG no one would have ever found the problem.

Ok, there's a little thing sitting 30degrees sideways from the device. If that's not a pressure plate, please tell me what it is?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ok, there's a little thing sitting 30degrees sideways from the device. If that's not a pressure plate, please tell me what it is?
The brass or bronze strip that the screw threads into and either is, or connects to the receptacle EGC contact.

480sparky

The bus that connects the terminal to the receptacle.

If that's a pressure plate, the conductor would need to come in from the end of the device, not from the back of it. :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The brass or bronze strip that the screw threads into and either is, or connects to the receptacle EGC contact.

That's what it is. If you look closely you can see the thin piece of insulating plastic that separates the yoke from the screw terminal.

Here's a closer view:

IMG_0329.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.