Rommex Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Do I understand this correctly (can't quote the code right now) that Rommex if installed on an exterior wall with furring strip needs to be protected either by conduit or a plate?
Further more, does same rule applies to MC as well?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may get different views on this so I would ask the AHJ. The code requires 1-1/4" from the edge of framing members. If you are 1-1/4" off the furring-strip then you would not need protection. Look at 300.4(D)

Last edited:

macmikeman

I actually didn't grasp this properly at first when it got into the codebook. I thought the furring would need to be at least +1-1/4" deep in order to eschew metal stips, but after reading other opinions here I understand it now to what Dennis has posted. Keep it out in the middle +1-1/4" away from the furring and you are ok.

Strife

Most "furring" implies 3/4" or less, so when I said furring strips I implied being around less than 1".
I'd still like to know though, does this rule applies to MC as well?

I actually didn't grasp this properly at first when it got into the codebook. I thought the furring would need to be at least +1-1/4" deep in order to eschew metal stips, but after reading other opinions here I understand it now to what Dennis has posted. Keep it out in the middle +1-1/4" away from the furring and you are ok.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Do I understand this correctly (can't quote the code right now) that Rommex if installed on an exterior wall with furring strip needs to be protected either by conduit or a plate?
Further more, does same rule applies to MC as well?

On the exterior? This would be a damp location. 334.12.

jetlag

See 08 300.4D , if you have a handbook it shows cable in a ceililng with 3/4 furring strips , the cables must be 1 1/4 away from the strips on exhibit 300.2 . The same is true for the outside walls and for MC cable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I thought he was talking about furring strips outside with siding installed over , that is not considered outside is it ? if he is talking about running exposed outside with furring strips for protection , I think that is a no go .
The op is talking about a basement wall of cinder block that is being furred out so they can sheetrock- or something similar to that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You may get different views on this so I would ask the AHJ. The code requires 1-1/4" from the edge of framing members. If you are 1-1/4" off the furring-strip then you would not need protection. Look at 300.4(D)

I agree. If the space between the cable and the furring-strip is 1.25" or more you're OK.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I thought he was talking about furring strips outside with siding installed over , that is not considered outside is it ? if he is talking about running exposed outside with furring strips for protection , I think that is a no go .

Yep thats outside. Still would like to know what the OP means.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yep thats outside. Still would like to know what the OP means.
Why are you saying that under the siding, if that were what the op was saying, is outside? I would not consider that outside no more than I would consider wiring in a roof over a porch outside.

macmikeman

See 08 300.4D , if you have a handbook it shows cable in a ceililng with 3/4 furring strips , the cables must be 1 1/4 away from the strips on exhibit 300.2 . The same is true for the outside walls and for MC cable.

I think it was like the 90 or 93.... Ya I know now. for about 10 yrs;)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Why are you saying that under the siding, if that were what the op was saying, is outside? I would not consider that outside no more than I would consider wiring in a roof over a porch outside.

It is an exterior covering. Meaning outside.

R602.3 Design and construction.

Exterior walls of wood-frame construction shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter and Figures R602.3(1) and R602.3(2) or in accordance with AF&PA?s NDS. Components of exterior walls shall be fastened in accordance with Table R602.3(1) through R602.3(4). Exterior walls covered with foam plastic sheathing shall be braced in accordance with Section R602.10. Structural sheathing shall be fastened directly to structural framing members.

SECTION R703 EXTERIOR COVERING

R703.1 General.

Exterior walls shall provide the building with a weather-resistant exterior wall envelope. The exterior wall envelope shall include flashing as described in Section R703.8. The exterior wall envelope shall be designed and constructed in such a manner as to prevent the accumulation of water within the wall assembly by providing a water-resistive barrier behind the exterior veneer as required by Section R703.2.

Where would the attachment of the NM be?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes the exterior of the siding is outside not the interior part. The nm is protected from the weather. It seems you get caught up in stuff that no one else seems is an issue. This is almost like saying everything in an exterior 2x4 wall is outside.

Do you turn down jobs that have nm cable in a crawl space?

Have you ever seen nm go bad in crawl spaces where there is moisture. I have been in crawl spaces where the place was dripping wet with no effect on the nm.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Yes the exterior of the siding is outside not the interior part. The nm is protected from the weather. It seems you get caught up in stuff that no one else seems is an issue. This is almost like saying everything in an exterior 2x4 wall is outside.

Do you turn down jobs that have nm cable in a crawl space?

Have you ever seen nm go bad in crawl spaces where there is moisture. I have been in crawl spaces where the place was dripping wet with no effect on the nm.

Yes everything past the framing and its sheathing is outside. Exterior sheating has an inside and outside.

If the NM is 'protected from the weather' (outside) this is a damp location. Violation of 334.

Yes I use more than the NEC. Sorry about your blood pressure.;)

What do crawl spaces have to do with the discussion at hand?

If the OP's question was NM stapled to the outside of sheathing, and we do not know if this was his question, it is a violation to install it there.

iwire

Staff member
What do crawl spaces have to do with the discussion at hand?

What does all this about exteriors have to do with the OP.

If the OP's question was NM stapled to the outside of sheathing,

It is not.

and we do not know if this was his question,

I have no idea what you are talking about.

it is a violation to install it there.

If NM was installed in a swimming pool that would also be violation but still has nothing to do with the question.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What does all this about exteriors have to do with the OP.

It is not.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

If NM was installed in a swimming pool that would also be violation but still has nothing to do with the question.

The OP did not respond to my first post.

My latter responses went to address questions posed to me as to being outside.

I saw nothing in his post about basements, drywall or anything else.

Everyone assumed these things. I assumed nothing and simply ask him to clarify his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.