So...what happened to your other electricians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've heard a bit of advice on this forum to ask this question a number of times. An excellent question, I might add.

I'm sure they don't just say, "I spent too much money on my truck and was unable to pay him on the last job."

So what kind of answers do you usually get?

Bonus question: How do you read into those answers and discover the true meaning?

GUNNING

Money is no object!

Money is no object!

I get "cant get a hold of him and you returned my call."
Now if I get the "If this works out there will be a lot more work down the road" I know "Money is no object" because there isn't any.

If you don't give a response, they keep talking.
Sometimes, they just don't know when to stop building the con.

480sparky

I'm assuming this is a question you ask builders, HOs and GCs when they start hiring you instead of their 'normal' electrician.

In most of my cases, the answer can be expressed thus:

"He wanted to work, and decided to make low price his selling point. He worked cheaper than anyone else just to work. He ended up working so cheap he couldn't cover his cost of being in business, so he got a job at Grease Monkey instead. But hey, I still made off like a bandit with his super-low prices because I charged the same for the houses I built and pocketed the difference between 'real electrician' prices and his price! Now, why are you charging me so much?"

ceb58

I had one that the rough in had been almost completed when they called me to look at it. After looking over every thing I ask about the original elect. Expecting to hear some strange story that would be the tail tail signs to run. The HO smiled and said "he died" Sure enough after asking around the poor guy fell over with a heart attack at home.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
So...what happened to your other electricians?

They got tired of waiting for work at Home Depot, and went back to Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.