30 amps electric range

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

It will work _doesn't mean its right

It will work _doesn't mean its right

I,ve seen a lot of stuff on service calls.... a free standing range will work just fine on 10 ga wire and a 30 amp breaker. The LOL, (little-ol-lady) says "its has worked fine for 20 years".

danickstr

Ya we land #6 al sec on the terminals and the stove manufacturer takes it from there on #12 with special braided covering on it. :)

I think Gaggenau makes a 30 amp oven. But I have not seen one free-standing.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have to correct the wiring to one of these this weekend. The appliance sales company was interested in making the sale only in this case. The original oven had a 12/3 running to it and ran fine for 20 years. The mfr's specs for the new oven clearly states that it requires a 30 amp line. The sales company came in, removed the old unit and installed the new one - never told the customer that he needed a 30 amp line. When the homeowner puts the oven on high speed convection, all 3 coils inside the oven are in use and drawing 31 amps +. Needless to say it trips the breaker within a minute. I don't want to take the chance that a 30 amp line would suffice so I'm running an 8/3 on a 40 amp breaker to make the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.