Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRI Exam Room Wiring

MRI Exam Room Wiring

Looking for a little help finding suitable boxes for concealed work inside of the RF shielding. Can't seem to find any stainless steel products. Has anyone out there done one of these rooms recently?
    Stephen Cox
    Arizona, USA

If the boxes and raceways are properly secured to the studs/framework you can use standard materials such as EMT and standard steel boxes.

Who is the manufacturer?

Roger

One we did a few years ago was all done in pvc- no metal whatsoever.
    --------------He never charged anything for his preaching....and it was worth it too.- Mark Twain

Better check that.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    If the boxes and raceways are properly secured to the studs/framework you can use standard materials such as EMT and standard steel boxes.

Who is the manufacturer?

Roger
    Mitsubishi an GE wanted no magnetic material in the same room. You couldn't secure metal boxs and emt to studs. The studs were wood and the screws bronze or brass.
    One was on an outside wall and they had to block off 6 parking spots. The old ones would rip stuff out of peoples pockets, don't know if the new ones will.
    Large masses of metal affect the calibration of the machine. A big truck parked outside today and not tomorrow would affect the way the thing worked, ( that information is from the vendor rep.)

Here is an interesting video Phil posted at ET.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Conner View Post
    Mitsubishi an GE wanted no magnetic material in the same room. You couldn't secure metal boxs and emt to studs. The studs were wood and the screws bronze or brass.
    One was on an outside wall and they had to block off 6 parking spots. The old ones would rip stuff out of peoples pockets, don't know if the new ones will.
    Large masses of metal affect the calibration of the machine. A big truck parked outside today and not tomorrow would affect the way the thing worked, ( that information is from the vendor rep.)

I don't know a lot about MRI but have understood that magnetic materials are not desired which is fairly obvious. I also believe non magnetic materials effect calibration. I understand they have to calibrate the equipment to the room. If anything in the room changes they must recalibrate.

I have done many MRI's GE, Phillips, Mitsubishi (open) and Seimens and have done all in EMT and steel boxes.

Most are inside an alluminum evelope but I will try to post some pictures of a Phillips installation inside of a copper envelope tomorrow.

Roger

Must be a different set of specs then we get from GE and Mitsubishi.

One was on an outside wall and they had to block off 6 parking spots.
    Must of been poor shielding, what do you think would happen to the mobile units they set up in parking lots?

The old ones would rip stuff out of peoples pockets, don't know if the new ones will.
    Yes they will and any magnetic metallic particles in your body as well.

Maybe from vibration but if proper shielding is in place what's outside the room should not effect the magnet.

Roger

The manuf. is Seimens. This is new construction in an existing hospital. The engineer has specified aluminum rigid conduit and nonmagnetic boxes in the exam room. There are a total of 8 back boxes required for recepts, lighting, and controls; each would require an 1-5/8" ring to flush with interior acoustical paneling. The rf shielding is 3 oz. copper paneling by ETS-Lindgren. Im looking for a listed stainless steel back box and extention ring but haven't had any luck. I could maybe get a local stainless fab company to make them but what of the listing requirements?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated...Thanks
    Stephen Cox
    Arizona, USA

Quote Originally Posted by steveve1 View Post
    The manuf. is Seimens. This is new construction in an existing hospital. The engineer has specified aluminum rigid conduit and nonmagnetic boxes in the exam room.
    If it was me I would send an RFI requesting the engineer to specify the boxes he wants used. In other words make it their problem.