Dedicated single receptacle - AFCI/TR exemption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Would single receptacles in bedrooms, dedicated to window air conditioners, be required to be AFCI protected and tamper resistant?

New circuits to be installed in an old house.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I expect the code junkies here can cite chapter & verse faster & more accurately than I can look it up.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The "circuit" has to be AFCI protected and the receptacle to be TR.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Would single receptacles in bedrooms, dedicated to window air conditioners, be required to be AFCI protected and tamper resistant?

I agree that there is no exemption in the current NEC from either AFCI or TR requirements for a single receptacle device on a separate dedicated branch circuit when the branch circuit is 120 Volt 15 or 20 Amp.

And, since you mention work in an old house, 210.12 has now been tweaked such that adding a switch loop and switch to an existing pull chain light, now, all by itself, invokes the AFCI requirement even if no outlets are part of the extension of that branch circuit. 2017 NEC 210.12(A) & (D)Exception. The term Device is now included with Outlet.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I expect the code junkies here can cite chapter & verse faster & more accurately than I can look it up.

Make sure you are looking at Michigan's electrical code, part of the Michigan Residential Code, in which most, but not all, of the NEC is referenced. Knowing what parts they adopt and what they don't is why we have to go to a code upgrade class every code cycle.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Is that the three years of the NEC cycle, or a different one?

Now it's the same. For years we were way behind and it was only when the Michigan codes were updateded. Now we stay with the NEC. During the catch up phase a bunch of us had to do two updates in two years. That costs money. About 110 bucks for a class, which is required and consists of 16 hours of class time, plus the 40 bucks a year for our licenses.

Now we can do our code upgrade classes on line for $80. You still have to be on line for 16 hours, though.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Now it's the same. For years we were way behind and it was only when the Michigan codes were updateded. Now we stay with the NEC. During the catch up phase a bunch of us had to do two updates in two years. That costs money. About 110 bucks for a class, which is required and consists of 16 hours of class time, plus the 40 bucks a year for our licenses.

Now we can do our code upgrade classes on line for $80. You still have to be on line for 16 hours, though.
Minnesota has been on a two year continuing ed cycle, requiring 16 hours of face time in front of a NEC instructor (with a small amount of that time devoted to the Minnesota Electrical Act, itself.) The face time can be cyber space or meat space. What you pay for sixteen hours we tend to spend for eight hours. Sigh.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Minnesota has been on a two year continuing ed cycle, requiring 16 hours of face time in front of a NEC instructor (with a small amount of that time devoted to the Minnesota Electrical Act, itself.) The face time can be cyber space or meat space. What you pay for sixteen hours we tend to spend for eight hours. Sigh.

We had one instructor, the local city inspector AKA the Code Nazi, that made our classes really fun and enjoyable. It was great because the students would get to bring up jobs they were gigged on and the instructor would make a lesson out of it. In a good way, he was a great teacher. I knew him from ham radio and met him just as I was starting my apprenticeship. He helped me a bunch over the years and was one reason I did well on all the tests. I don't miss having to drive to class and sit there for hours on end, but I do miss the personal touch of being taught by a very strict inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.