splice low voltage light fixtures wires without a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1099

I miss keyless porcelain light fixtures!!

I have a questions on low voltage light fixtures.

[FONT=&quot]1) Can you splice low voltage light fixtures wires without a box? I know if the source of the low voltage is class 2, no box is needed. However, some low voltage light fixtures have no way to install a box and the power source does not say class 2 as required by NEC 725. Also table 11 A in chapter 9 limits-if I am reading it right- class 2 circuits to 5 amps or 75 VA at 120 volt. 411 seems vague to me. Can anyone clarify? [/FONT]

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

[FONT=&quot]1) Can you splice low voltage light fixtures wires without a box? I know if the source of the low voltage is class 2, no box is needed. However, some low voltage light fixtures have no way to install a box and the power source does not say class 2 as required by NEC 725. Also table 11 A in chapter 9 limits-if I am reading it right- class 2 circuits to 5 amps or 75 VA at 120 volt. 411 seems vague to me. Can anyone clarify? [/FONT]

Drivers for more than a limited number of LED fixtures will not meet the Class 2 power limit requirements. In any case, as you stated, the source must be marked if you want to be code compliant.

kwired

Electron manager

1) Can you splice low voltage light fixtures wires without a box? I know if the source of the low voltage is class 2, no box is needed. However, some low voltage light fixtures have no way to install a box and the power source does not say class 2 as required by NEC 725. Also table 11 A in chapter 9 limits-if I am reading it right- class 2 circuits to 5 amps or 75 VA at 120 volt. 411 seems vague to me. Can anyone clarify?
I still use keyless porcelains - particularly in basements, garages, etc. and just put in a LED replacement type lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.