2011 ATS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I was attending our local electrical contractor's meeting this past Thursday and Terry Cromer fom our state association was there with new code books and to discuss some of the new changes. One item that he mentioned was transfer switches needing to switch the grounded conductor as well as all ungrounded. I looked through 700, 702 and 445 and have not seen such a requirement. Did I misunderstand or am I looking in the wrong spot? Thanks.

(as a side note, there were several items he mentioned as teasers already in discussion for 2014, and this may have been one of them)

raider1

Staff member
There is nothing in the 2011 NEC that mandates that the transfer switch must switch the grounded conductor.

It depends on of the generator is going to be treated as a separately derived system as to whter or not you must switch the grounded conductor in the ATS.

Chris

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Art 590 requires all port gens to have GFCI. connecting a gen with GFCI to a TS that does not transfer the neutral will cause the GFCI to trip. I think there is an effective date on the GFCI requirement of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.