Thread: Class 1 Div I Seals

Class 1 Div I Seals

Are splices, taps and terminations considered arcing or sparking parts?

No.
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

It depends if you "pre-twist" or not

I'm kidding of course, Welcome to Mike Holt's forum!
    Jack

Texas by the Gulf, geat crab, great shrimp
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuckmo View Post
    Are splices, taps and terminations considered arcing or sparking parts?
    No, but why do you have "Class 1, Div I seal" as the title of your post? What is the realtionship between the two? BTW it is Class I, Division 1. Roman numeral for Class and regular numbers for Division designation. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by weressl View Post
    No, but why do you have "Class 1, Div I seal" as the title of your post? What is the realtionship between the two? ...
    I suspect it was raised by reviewing 501.15(A)(1)(2) or possibly by an influence from the IEC world where terminals are considered to be arc-making.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think the NEC says, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what it means." (Corollary to Charlie's Rule)

I would think that in Class 1 Div 1 locations abnormal circuit conditions must be considered, so terminal boxes need to be Explosion Proof to account for faulted wire conditions. Whereas in Class 1 Div 2 normal circuit operations are all that is required to be considered so terminal boxes are not required to be Explosion Proof since no faults under normal circuit operation.

Texas by the Gulf, geat crab, great shrimp
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    I suspect it was raised by reviewing 501.15(A)(1)(2) or possibly by an influence from the IEC world where terminals are considered to be arc-making.
    Oh, I can speculate why it was there, but I would of rather have the OP state it than to assume what he was thinking.