First page of Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been approached (read: flooded with phone calls and email spam) about guaranteed first-page search-engine result placements, but never taken the bite.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I believe Google's search engine is user responsive and spots can't be purchased like they can on other search engines.

Try doing a search for a subject on your computer, then go to a different one and do the same search. I think you will see different results.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From what I've heard in some tech circles these things are a waste of money. I would do some more research before I would give them a cent.

Tiger Electrical

I know someone with a large corporation that uses an SEO company successfully. I think he pays $10k per month for the service. I believe he said they have monthly meeting to review results and targets. He is going for good national results on something generic like "computer hardware". If you want good results for "electrician hometown" it shouldn't be too difficult.

teco

I don't know, my website guy didn't promise me 1st page but he has me there in my area consistently. I didn't pay anywhere near the money talked about here. Its all about content and what you want to be found for.

dbuckley

I have a website that (today) is the 4th hit listed on page one of google for a specific search term, of a total of 446,000 hits. I did nothing specific to get it there, but I think it helps that the site has the topic of interest and thus the search term as the domain name, and has been around a long while. Sometimes I'm even the #1 hit, depends how google is feeling, but today Wikipedia is at the top.

I don't beliece that SEO will magically get you up the top unless you have a very unique offering in the marketplace, and if you do, google will have twigged that already.

Just as an example, I googled for detroit electrician, and the site at the top is detroitelectrician.com. I google for maine electrician, and get a government site, and maineelectrician.com is nowhere to be seen. Why? I dont know, but what is odd is that both sites are domains for sale...

teco

Its content. I google commercial electrician in my area today and I'm right there 1st page on Google, Yahoo, and Bing engines. Sometimes 2nd page but mostly first. I don't do any resi so I don't want the calls. Its knowing how you want to be found and gearing the content to match that and you have to keep up with it and change it around. I'm no expert but this is what I have found works.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Its not just content. Visit the first links on a search, or if you have something like gmail where you get context sensed "sponsored' links on the right... visit those. Once you're on the linked page, right click on a no-link area and choose "View Source" from the local menu. What you will see is the html coding of the web page. Now look at what is called meta-tags near the top, usually right after the header. That is what will get you listed closer to first than others...

GUNNING

HI! Im Jim Jones electric calling to tell you about a fantastic offer...

HI! Im Jim Jones electric calling to tell you about a fantastic offer...

You get what you pay for, unless you can afford a bunch more. The adds on the right side will get you placement. You buy that from google. You can also get placement by including the right text search terms. If I was to research this more I would go to the horses mouth. Google advertising.
They get you right where you need to be in your geographical area and it only costs pennies per hit. Now think Millions of hits. Now think maybe a fraction of a percent turn into calls and a fraction of them into leads and a fraction of them into work.

Better off direct mail.

teco

Its not just content. Visit the first links on a search, or if you have something like gmail where you get context sensed "sponsored' links on the right... visit those. Once you're on the linked page, right click on a no-link area and choose "View Source" from the local menu. What you will see is the html coding of the web page. Now look at what is called meta-tags near the top, usually right after the header. That is what will get you listed closer to first than others...

Its also not the meta tags. That is the trap everyone falls in. Road to nowhere. I'm sure there is something to what your saying but my site is where I want it to be because I finally listen to the right guy, and it worked.
I can't argue with the results.

Well the first two or three search results are usually "sponsored links". Which I am sure are not search generated or free. I believe you can purchsae a first page position by zipcode. In that case you would be on the first page only after someone clicks the "Local business results for residential electrician near Philadelphia, PA(or your home town)" link. But if it sounds to good to be true...:roll:

dmagyar

I'm on the first page for much less

I'm on the first page for much less

I just checked google for my company and found that we're on the first page of google. I'm spending under $100/month through a local web advertising firm. That's all that I would spend, and I couldn't justify spending any more to move to the top of the page. 10 grand a month is ludicris, if you had money laying around and did this, the next year it will be more and seems to me some of the "Emperors new clothes" logic.

P.S. Not matter how many hits, how many people visit your site it doesn't equate to work.

teco

I just checked mine again. Number one spot in my area. One time payment of 1300.00 dollars for the whole website. 150.00 per year to host it. Thats it. Has already paid for itself and more.

KentAT

From reading several responses about being listed on the first page in your area, I wonder if there is some background identification going on to give you local results - like Google knowing who your ISP is by your address and returning localized results first??

Status
Not open for further replies.