new name for electrical company

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

He can't use "Amish Electric," as it's already taken ..... as is the slogan 'no power, no problem.'

Back in the 30's, one of the advertising 'greats,' a man who had pioneered much of what we know today, wrote down his experiences in two books. "My Life in Advertising" and "Scientific Advertising" are now sold as a single volume, for about $8.

One topic covered is the effect of different business names. His data showed that the best names not only told the world what you did, but also tells the world who you are. As I understand his writings, I have created some fictional names, and list them here from best to worst:

John Smith's Household Electric
Springfield Electric
National Electric
XYZ Electric
XYZ Enterprises
Zbgrb, Inc.

Simply put, folks like the personal touch, and they need to know what it is that you offer. Some success stories include Men's Wearhouse ("I Guarantee It!") and Olga Bras (There really is an Olga- and I'm her!).

Probably the best example is the firm Public Storage, which went from failed flop to overnight success, the moment they changed their name from "Private Storage."

Misleading names can also be a handicap. I was once told that the Washington Senators baseball team had great difficulty identifying mail they received that had been intended for members of Congress, as all the letters started out "You bums ..."

A successful business can survive adopting a 'bad name,' (witness Exxon), and a business that is both unique and well-capitalized can overcome the handicap (Xerox)- but both are examples of what the author (Charles Haskins? I'm not sure) would advise against.

dduffee260

Saw an ambulance the other day. I guess the guy bought one from an auction somewhere. He had " Dr. Plumber" on the side. Makes me want to go get an ambulance, tool it out and start " Dr. Electric". Wouldn't it be cool to step out with a stethoscope in scrubbs when you went to a house. Maybe have a crash cart with your tools on it. The possibilities are endless !!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
wouldn't 'Fines Electric' be more fitting :D
Funny you should say that:

logo.GIF

220/221

like robert said

AAA Electric

gets you first in the phone book

Do people still use the phone book?

I had a retail store in the pre internet 80's and was forced to pay ungodly rates to advertise in the Yellow Pages. A simple quarter page ad was something like $1200 a month. I thought it was a ripoff back then and will be glad to see it become extinct.

dbuckley

Theres a company that advertise on the radio here, this mob: Whitehead plumbing and gas.

In their radio adverts they are always clear that you should look them up "in the white pages".

If you went to the yellow pages, you'll find a bazillion other similar companies, whereas in the white pages, if you can get the customer to know your name, you stand alone...

Clever. They've got a good website too, and a cracking toll free number.

flyboy

Your search is over...

Your search is over...

All you have to do is send me $5,000 and I'll send you a name, unique selling proposition (USP) and a logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.