Daily Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I used to work for a large contractor and we would fill out daily reports that went to the office and the GC. I now have my own company and I am starting to do larger public works projects. My question is how many of you do daily reports or think they are necessary?

480sparky

I keep a daily log. And I'm a one-man band.

Logbook-1.jpg

One thing to bear in mind: If it goes to court, a loose-leaf binder won't cut it. They have to be permanently bound or else it'll get thrown out.

iwire

Staff member

Logbook-1.jpg

One thing to bear in mind: If it goes to court, a loose-leaf binder won't cut it. They have to be permanently bound or else it'll get thrown out.

It is a good idea and it has always been explained to me as Ken laid it out.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I don't keep a daily log, but I do keep a daily schedule. All times (by the quarter hour), locations, customer (customer info.) Helps to plan stuff ahead of time.

jwjrw

I don't keep a daily log, but I do keep a daily schedule. All times (by the quarter hour), locations, customer (customer info.) Helps to plan stuff ahead of time.

I do the same thing. I carry a day planner and I write all my appointments in it and note when I arrive and leave each job. If I don't write it down I may forget to do it.

480sparky

Court?

Why would daily logs come into play?

Are you serious?

You get sued for being behind on a job. Or they claim you did or didn't do something. Or claim you damaged something. Gads, there's millions of reasons you can get sued, and having a proper daily log is just but one of many preemptive actions at your disposal that will CYA.

Back in my employee/job foreman days, one of my daily logs ended up in court. So did 3 other trades'. GC lost.

ed downey

When I worked for an Electrical Contractor I used Daily Logs as part of the proof that the GC was not holding up his end of the schedule and that we where impacted and forced to work more men and more overtime.

Written word from the person at the jobsite everyday during the entire project paints a very good picture of the status of the project for someone (ie a lawyer or judge) reviewing the documents after the fact.

-Ed

480sparky

............Written word from the person at the jobsite everyday during the entire project paints a very good picture of the status of the project for someone (ie a lawyer or judge) reviewing the documents after the fact.

-Ed

Back it up with photos, and you'll be a hero.
emoticonyes.gif

480sparky

Dead serious.

It was a question I asked because I was curious.

Were you born with the answer or did someone tell you?:)

No, not born with the answer, just had it drilled into my head. Then when my logs ended up in court, it simply reinforced the value they have.

Awg-Dawg

No, not born with the answer, just had it drilled into my head. Then when my logs ended up in court, it simply reinforced the value they have.

First and foremost, sorry about the hole in your head.

I was always curious why we filled out daily logs.(thanks for info)

I also just realized that this was in the Contracting part of the forum.

I probably should have wiped my feet before I came in.:grin:

wireguy8169

Logbook-1.jpg

Where do you find these permanently bound, or do you use a ledger type log that has this in it...I am so glad I found this thread I was looking to make up some daily's but never knew they had to be bound.

480sparky

Where do you find these permanently bound, or do you use a ledger type log that has this in it...I am so glad I found this thread I was looking to make up some daily's but never knew they had to be bound.

I have Kino's / FedEx Office print them up, two on each side of the paper.

Have them bind them using Strip or Book. I use the Strip method. 75 sheets, printed both sides, with a cover and bound, about $12. Good for 300 days.

DSC_4579.jpg

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I have Kino's / FedEx Office print them up, two on each side of the paper.

Have them bind them using Strip or Book. I use the Strip method. 75 sheets, printed both sides, with a cover and bound, about $12. Good for 300 days.

DSC_4579.jpg

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose for court? If you can just bind your loose leaf notes together doesn't it accomplish the same thing? The courts might as well just accept it loose.

What if you want to keep them longer? ;)

Start another book. :cool:

Whoooooooooosh!!!:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.