Disconnect for car charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leespark57

The code says the disconnect means shall be lockable open in accordance with 110.25. I believe device show would comply with 110.25 but wanted others opinions. Some inspectors are requiring a disconnect within sight.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
std hvac disco (fused or not) will suffice. mount it next to the charger unit. or, use a Siemens LNF222R if you like the quick arm/handle style disco, which is way faster than std blade style enclosures that you have to open to do disco. imo, arm/handle styles are safer.

i always wondered what is meant by "in sight".

if i mount disco and charger in corner of garage, but the actual charge cable allows me to charge outside where i cant see disco or charger, is the disco "in sight" ???

Leespark57

For a car charger, it doesn't state that the disconnect needs to be in sight. Just wondering inspectors would consider the padlocking device on the circuit breaker to be code compliant.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
For a car charger, it doesn't state that the disconnect needs to be in sight. Just wondering inspectors would consider the padlocking device on the circuit breaker to be code compliant.
does it call for a separate disco at the charger location ??

jumper

std hvac disco (fused or not) will suffice. mount it next to the charger unit. or, use a Siemens LNF222R if you like the quick arm/handle style disco, which is way faster than std blade style enclosures that you have to open to do disco. imo, arm/handle styles are safer.

i always wondered what is meant by "in sight".

if i mount disco and charger in corner of garage, but the actual charge cable allows me to charge outside where i cant see disco or charger, is the disco "in sight" ???

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight).
Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be “in
sight from,” “within sight from,” or “within sight of,” and so
forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible
and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.