Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: code inforcement inspector

code inforcement inspector

Are make shift dead fronts for a pool sub-panel allowed in the nec?

My guess would be no as per 110.3(B).

Quote Originally Posted by mikekelly View Post
    Are make shift dead fronts for a pool sub-panel allowed in the nec?
    Depends somewhat on what you are mean by "makeshift dead front".

I cannot think of anything that would prohibt one from putting a door or removable panel in front of a panel board.
    Bob

So are you saying that In the event that someone looses a deadfront you cannot have a metal fab make a replacement of equal thickness and material.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    So are you saying that In the event that someone looses a deadfront you cannot have a metal fab make a replacement of equal thickness and material.
    I don't see any problem fabricating a dead front either.
    As long as it is a safe installation.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Answers based on 2011 NEC

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    I don't see any problem fabricating a dead front either.
    As long as it is a safe installation.
    Couldn't there be an issue with the panel's listing if you fabbed a replacement when you could have bought one from the manufacturer or made one for a panel that didn't have a listed dead front? I'm not talking from a practical "will it work right" perspective, but from a "who's the lawyer going to chase" perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Couldn't there be an issue with the panel's listing if you fabbed a replacement when you could have bought one from the manufacturer or made one for a panel that didn't have a listed dead front? I'm not talking from a practical "will it work right" perspective, but from a "who's the lawyer going to chase" perspective.
    A panelboard is mounted in a cabinet, cutout box or enclosure as per 408.38.

Cabinet, cutout box and enclosures are as per 312.

I don't see where the cabinet for a panelbord needs to be listed execpt for nometalic cabinets as per 312.10(C).
    If I am wrong, please let me know where a listing is required.
    Last edited by tkb; 08-25-11 at 09:48 PM.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Answers based on 2011 NEC

The problem usually is that, they want to make the new dead front out of sheet metal and cut it out with tin snips.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    The problem usually is that, they want to make the new dead front out of sheet metal and cut it out with tin snips.
    What is the problem with that? If it is allowed, it does not matter much how it is fabricated as long as it is suitable.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    I have had to do that. Sometimes you come across old equipment that you would be hard pressed to find replacement parts for and have to fabricate a replacement part. A dead front is not critical to the actual function of the panel like the breakers or buss. The one thing I would be careful of though is making sure the sheet metal was of a heavier guage similar to that of a manufacturers dead front .