Old machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Got dispatched to hook up an old (old meaning early 1980's, thanks for that) machine. Originally it was hooked up 480V three phase. New home has 240V single phase, but they already have a phase converter....hmmmm oh goody.

green monster pic.jpg

No manual came with the machine. Doesn't matter, the one I found online didn't have anything to offer. All it had to say about the electrical was get an electrical expert to hook it up. At least there was a picture with an arrow to show which direction the motor is supposed to turn.

green monster instucition.jpg

This is the diagram for how to wire up the control transformer. I found a copy inside the make up box. I thought it was a hand drawn image until I tracked down a phone number to call and got emailed the exact same image...

green monster xformer.jpg

This is what the control transformer really looked like

green monster xformer pic.jpg

Long story short, it's working as of Friday afternoon.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Got dispatched to hook up an old (old meaning early 1980's, thanks for that) machine. Originally it was hooked up 480V three phase. New home has 240V single phase, but they already have a phase converter....hmmmm oh goody.

View attachment 18870

No manual came with the machine. Doesn't matter, the one I found online didn't have anything to offer. All it had to say about the electrical was get an electrical expert to hook it up. At least there was a picture with an arrow to show which direction the motor is supposed to turn.

View attachment 18868

This is the diagram for how to wire up the control transformer. I found a copy inside the make up box. I thought it was a hand drawn image until I tracked down a phone number to call and got emailed the exact same image...

View attachment 18867

This is what the control transformer really looked like

View attachment 18869

Long story short, it's working as of Friday afternoon.

Who did you call?

:D:thumbsup:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

View attachment 18870

yay. you got to hook up an ironworker.
hooking them up is better than using them. i've done both.
it has that "i bought it at an auction for $800" look. however,
it's far superior to the alternative to the iron worker, the
porta band and drill. :sick:

assuming, hopefully, that it was a rotary phase generator,
and not a static one.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Who did you call?

There were only three outfits on the whole interweb that weren't German who even knew what this thing was.

One was a dealer in California who told me to call Pinney Machinery. That's the same outfit that had the manual on their website. Ask for Charlie he said. I asked Charlie if he had any info that could help me out. "Your the first person that's asked about one of those in thirty years. I'll send you everything I have on file." He scanned and emailed me the transformer diagram that I posted. Thanks Charlie. You are a good man, but that's not gonna get me very far.

He did give me the number to a parts house that sold replacement parts which was good because I was looking for an under voltage relay that was part of the starter. Not available. Guess we won't use one then.

After about and hour of wiping off grease and hydraulic fluid I found the nameplate on the top of the motor that was about two inches away from the bed of the machine above it so the only way I could read it was with my inspection mirror. 79 amps! That's impossible. Oh wait, it 19.7 amps.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
yay. you got to hook up an ironworker.
hooking them up is better than using them. i've done both.
it has that "i bought it at an auction for $800" look.
That's exactly what it is, though it's not an auction find, it's a hand me down from the big store in Montrose, CO. I imagine you got to use one a time or two.

however,
it's far superior to the alternative to the iron worker, the
porta band and drill. :sick:
That is exactly what was beside me, out of the frame, when I snapped the pic of the machine now lovingly know as the Green Monster.

assuming, hopefully, that it was a rotary phase generator,
and not a static one.

Yes, roto phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.