Thermal Imager, How to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredelect

My company has purchased a thermal image camera. I am somewhat new to the electric maintence field and am not sure how to use the data that the tool will give me. Can anyone give me some direction wher to begin?

480sparky

You need to get certified. Not just learn how to use the camera... certification is much like getting an electricians license only a shorter time frame and a bit less expenses.

But it still takes time and money.

Try here, or here.

brian john

While you can learn most with OJT, 480 nailed it. Your company owes it to themselves, anyone using the camera and their customers to have a trained professional utilizing this equipment.

fredelect

Thanks for the input. Just want to make clear I'm not new to the electric field. 30+ years as an electrican. Just new to the maintance side. I do understand much of what causes what. And, I also understand how the training that goes with the can certification pay off. I'm no Ludite about training. That's why I ask these questions. My boss still wants me to use the camera but not do weeks of training. (no big surprize there) We are willing to go the OJT route. this forum and other internet based sites are a start. Luckly none of my buildings have critical loads, just trying to be proactive. Send any other advice anytime.

renosteinke

Certification? What silliness is that?

OK, I suppose, if your very business is based upon selling your opinions to someone who might sue. But for maintenance? Balderdash - you might as well expect the guy to get 'screwdriver certified' with endorsements for Phillips and Torx!

The camera is just another tool. Period. Point it, and the picture shows you hot spots. How hot? There's a scale right on the display. Hot enough to worry? Who knows- but it's your clue to look closer at the area in question.

Then, since YOU are the maintenance guy, you get it fixed. Maybe you even take another look at it with the camera to make sure the problem has gone away.

There's no need to make everything into a Federal case.

480sparky

Certification? What silliness is that?

OK, I suppose, if your very business is based upon selling your opinions to someone who might sue. But for maintenance? Balderdash - you might as well expect the guy to get 'screwdriver certified' with endorsements for Phillips and Torx!

The camera is just another tool. Period. Point it, and the picture shows you hot spots. How hot? There's a scale right on the display. Hot enough to worry? Who knows- but it's your clue to look closer at the area in question.

Then, since YOU are the maintenance guy, you get it fixed. Maybe you even take another look at it with the camera to make sure the problem has gone away.

There's no need to make everything into a Federal case.

OK, so it's 186?F..... now what?

Yea, any moron can say, "Hey, this part is hotter than this part." But knowing what is too hot and just operating temperature is something else.

If you think you're going to tromp out and plunk down a couple grand on a camera and go out and make a ton of money on it, think again. Most places require the IR certification, not some dingledorf with an expensive toy.

Last edited:

rt66electric

Flir is the neatest toy

Flir is the neatest toy

I guess i'm some dingledorf with a expensive toy. It ain't that complicated.

Stick with what you know.. I did industrial maintenance for years beforeswitching to Electrician. A flir camera came to my disposal(borrowed) . I've tried many things to make abuck with it , but in my neighborhood there is not a market.
However I did get the opportunity to visit the Plastics forming shop where I had previously worked. I learned more in one day about what is "warm" and what is "too hot" than any course could have taught me.

Go play with the durn thing, take it home and see how well you house and neighbors' houses are insulated.

brian john

You can get certified for less than the Fluke classes.

There is a difference between a man and a camera and photographer, a difference between an electrician and someone that can wire, understand and trouble controls, this is no different.

Yes anyone can tell a hot spot from an adjacent pole, but can you tell if a 50 amp CB carrying 29 amps is at an acceptable temperature for the ambient? Or do you just guess away, and possibly look good to the customer or possibly like a fool?

In 40 years working in the trade (28-30 doing IR) I have never put my self out there where I might end up looking like a fool. Just myself, but I have always wanted to be the best I can, and to do that I have always felt that took as much knowledge about the subject matter at hand.

renosteinke

My only objection to the term 'dingledorf' is that some might confuse that with long-time forum member "Dinkledorf." There is no connection between he and I. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.