Essential vs normal Power system separation in Healthcare facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

twlindsley

I am working on a project to upgrade the existing electrical system in a hospital and am having trouble locating the section that talks about physical separation of the essential and normal power systems. I know that NEC 517 talks about separation of circuits, but doesn't seem to address physical separation. Can anyone point to the correct Code or NEC section that deals with this requirement, or let me know if there is such a requirement?

Thanks!

twlindsley

Essential vs normal Power system separation in Healthcare facility

Since I don't have a copy of the 2011 NEC I am assuming that it is very similar to the same section of the 2014 or 2017 NEC. If that is the case, then I read this section as the circuits need to independent but not the systems in separate rooms. Can you provide more clarification?

Thanks Again!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It reads the same. It requires separate raceways and boxes for the critical branch and life safety branch.

In other words, feeders or branch circuits for the life safety branch can't be in the same raceways or boxes as circuits of the critical branch, or any equipment or normal power wiring.

Same for the critical branch.

In your reply, you mentioned separate rooms. Are you looking for the requirement where the ATS can't be in the same room as the utility power?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Yes, sorry for the confusion. I am looking for the requirement where the ATS cant be in same room as normal/utility power.

Thanks Again!

It's in NFPA 110 7.2.3 (2013 version) and only applies where the normal service equipment is over 150 volts to ground and 1000 amperes or greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.