Do Osha rules apply to inspectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Steel toed shoes, long pants, hard hats. OK I'll go with the hard hats but I can't be expected to comply with the other nonsence on a 90 degree day, can I :happysad::rant::ashamed1:

iwire

Staff member
Steel toed shoes, long pants, hard hats. OK I'll go with the hard hats but I can't be expected to comply with the other nonsence on a 90 degree day, can I :happysad::rant::ashamed1:

I don't know the answer to your question but it seems like if the guys around you that are actually working can handle all that stuff you can too.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Since New Hampshire does not have a State Plan, it falls entirely under FedOSHA. If you have an employer that is not specifically exempt, your PPE/Training requirements are exactly the same as anyone else’s. BTW if you did have a State Plan, it would have to be at least as rigorous as FedOSHA’s.

Hendrix

If he is a municipal / local government employee would OSHA cover him?

That is the big Question. I am municipal and at one time I was told that OSHA did not cover me but I don't recall if the person who told me this knew what he was talking about.:blink:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what OSHA says but I know of places where you do not enter if you are not wearing safety equipment they want you to wear. Some places have security requirements to ensure quality and safety of their product. Food processing or pharmaceutical facilities can/will make you shower before entering, wear clothing they provide, wear things or follow procedures that are for product protection more so than for your protection.

Just because you are in authority over the electrical installation does not mean that they give up rights to protect their product or business from whatever threat you may bring with you.

OSHA may or may not have jurisdiction over you but someone probably does that wants to see the same requirments that OSHA has as a minimum.

WorkSafe

OSHA does NOT have jurisdiction over a state agency or it's employees, period. Now, if the inspectors are contractors working for the State, that's a different story.

If the State had their own plan, they would fall under them. It is common though, that most state agencies choose to follow OSHA guidance anyways as a Agency policy.

WorkSafe

OSHA does NOT have jurisdiction over a state agency or it's employees, period. Now, if the inspectors are contractors working for the State, that's a different story.

If the State had their own plan, they would fall under them. It is common though, that most state agencies choose to follow OSHA guidance anyways as a Agency policy.

Hendrix

2012 NFPA 70E is adding specific verbage to include inspections and inspectors will have to comply with PPE requirements.

PPE requirements I can understand. What I don't get is, why shouldn't I be able to dress as I like as there is no dress code for my position. Also it is ironic that in NH you don't have to ware a helmet on a motorcycle but you may be required to ware long pants on a construction site:ashamed1:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Also it is ironic that in NH you don't have to ware a helmet on a motorcycle but you may be required to ware long pants on a construction site:ashamed1:
Not so ironic from my viewpoint...

Give me a job riding a motorcycle and I'd wear a helmet :eek:hmy:

pfalcon

The company you are inspecting is required to make the risk assessment as to the level of PPE required to be on the job site. Other than shoes, they must provide the PPE at their expense. ANYONE entering the job site is required to comply fully with the PPE requirements set by the company for that exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.