Running NM cable through wall to PVC Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read numerous posts on this as well as article 334 and think I have this worked out, but thought I'd post here before drilling holes.

I'm wiring a detached shop. I want to install a surface mounted PVC J box on the outside wall. I plan to run multiple NM cables to this box and then transition from there to THWN to run in sched 80 conduit along the exterior wall to a disconnect for a heat pump, dedicated outlet for an air compressor, and another outlet for general use.

If I understand the code correctly, I can run the nm cable for a short distance in conduit.

What I want to do is this:
  • drill holes in the back of the JBox and install a short amount of conduit (or perhaps just a coupler) that will be long enough to pass through holes drilled in the siding and sheathing.
  • Inside the building, attach pull elbows to the conduit.
  • Run the NM cable from the attic space, down the stud cavity, and into the elbow.
  • I'll install bushings where the cable enters the conduit and will stable the cable to the stud within 8" of where it enters the conduit.

I believe if I do this I will not have to have the cable clamped where it enters the J box. Putting a clamp on the J box will require larger holes to be drilled, which I'd like to avoid.

I can't find anything in the NEC that prohibits that.

The two other approaches I've considered are:
  1. build a small wood frame to sit between the j box and sheathing that will allow room for regular NM clamps to be mounted to the box.
  2. install a J box in the attic space and run THWN from there down stud cavity, through the wall, and into the J box (all in conduit). This is probably the most complete way, but seems like quite q bit of extra work just to get to the J Box.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.