Panel in a closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
And let the ink on permit dry before putting rod back up. Actually many inspectors only care that it meets code at time of inspection. They are not stupid they know what your doing but covers them

I say the plan needs to have the room designated as an electrical room if you want to say it is not a closet. :grin: I wired a house a few years ago and one of the bedrooms (looked like a bed room and had a closet) was labeled "office" on the plans, they computer tower would trip the AFCI when it was turned on cold. So I removed the, not required in an office, AFCI and put in a standard breaker, problem solved, code compliant.

Jim W in Tampa

Where in 110.26 does it prohibit a panel behind a swinging door? I'd like to know, I've installed about 120 of them in the past two or three months. :)

I did not say the door was prohibited. All i am saying is your work space is in the closet. If all we need is a door over the panel then we can put panel anyplace we want such as bathroom or even in the shower. I don't think any inspector will allow you to say whats behind the door is another room that is 30 x 36 inches and 4 inches deep.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I did not say the door was prohibited. All i am saying is your work space is in the closet. If all we need is a door over the panel then we can put panel anyplace we want such as bathroom or even in the shower. I don't think any inspector will allow you to say whats behind the door is another room that is 30 x 36 inches and 4 inches deep.

Why even bother putting a door over it, they come with a door on the cover. And it is still in the same room, if the work space is in the closet, the panel is in the closet.

Jim W in Tampa

Why even bother putting a door over it, they come with a door on the cover. And it is still in the same room, if the work space is in the closet, the panel is in the closet.

Actually NEC did not say the work space can't be in a closet or bathroom it just says the panel can't be. I think we all just assume that part. But i think very few inspectors would let you get away with such a crazy way to bypass the rules. I do not know just what the min size is to claim an area is a room.

Jim W in Tampa

2006 IRC Section R304: Habitable rooms must have a minimum floor area of 70 square feet, except kitchens, baths, closets and other similar rooms. No habitable rooms can be less than seven (7) feet in width, except kitchen. (Baths are not considered habitable rooms.)

So does this mean my electrical room can be 30 inches wide and 4 inches deep ? Using that set of rules it could.
Guess i gotta find me a new office as mine is 6 x 11

jumper

So does this mean my electrical room can be 30 inches wide and 4 inches deep ? Using that set of rules it could.
Guess i gotta find me a new office as mine is 6 x 11

Jim, I am agreeing with you.

By the above definition, I say that that the definition of a room is minimum 70 sq ft.

Anything smaller I consider a closet. What type of closet - clothes, electrical, or laundry- depends on usage.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, I am agreeing with you.

By the above definition, I say that that the definition of a room is minimum 70 sq ft.

Anything smaller I consider a closet. What type of closet - clothes, electrical, or laundry- depends on usage.

I know your agreeing i am just trying to figure out what that code thinks it said.
I have seen and installed a few electrical room that were far smaller than 70 sq ft
Electrical rooms are not habital but neither are halls and panels often are in a hall.
Bottom line is if i was the inspector this install would get red tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.