Electrical planing for a small detached cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

First post, but long time reader.

I'm planning the electrical for a small cabin. About 100 feet from main house. There are 3 #8 copper wires in a PVC conduit coming from the house. 2 hots, 1 neutral, no ground. Inside the house, those #8 are connected to a double-pole 30A circuit breaker. Inside the old cabin, it's all old and rotten, nothing will be kept, all will be new.

I have a few questions:

1. the 30A breakers seem conservative for #8. I think I can upgrade it to a 40A, right? Or even 50A?

2. Would the length cause an excessive voltage drop?

3. The wires coming from the house are barely long enough to reach the inside of the cabin, but too short to install a sub panel inside the cabin. Would you rather install the sub panel on the outside of the cabin, or install a junction box on the outside and run another cable to the inside and place the sub panel inside?

4. How should I deal with the lack of ground wire? I believe the ground should be connected only in one place near the main panel, and the neutral-ground connection should exist only in one place too (at the main panel). Is that correct? If I install another rod at the cabin, would the voltage difference between ground and neutral cause problems?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.