Hot AC wire problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lviv.net

On the wall between bedroom and bathroom, the stud-sensor shows that there is a hot AC wire, and the non-contact indicator shows the same. When I cut out the drywall, there aren't any wires. Can anybody help me understand what this is? What tools can show me?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How does a stud finder sense voltage? You probably are sensing some phantom voltage. Those non contact detectors are not reliable, IMO. Often you will get a signal that a wire is hot when it is , in fact, not energized.

There must be wires nearby-- what are you looking for? There are some tools that can trace wires underground and thru sheetrock but those cheap ones will not do it. Usually you need to spend a few hundred dollars.

hurk27

On the wall between bedroom and bathroom, the stud-sensor shows that there is a hot AC wire, and the non-contact indicator shows the same. When I cut out the drywall, there aren't any wires. Can anybody help me understand what this is? What tools can show me?

Any HV transmission lines in the area of this house?

Had a house that was right next to the right of way of a 500kv transmission lines, and my non-contact sensor would go crazy getting close to anything metal like water pipes, also go out side and check for voltage between the water spigot and earth with a DVM, you might have a lost neutral problem and are picking up the water pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.