Under ground splice, class 1 div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a job coming up which will require either splicing motor lead and control wiring in an underground box or repulling everything for point A to point B.

situation: site is a fueling station that is tearing down some building which houses the current electrical panel, starters, etc... for the fuel pumps. the panel and controls are being relocated about 50 feet away from the current location.

There are 13 conduits entering the exterior of the building and proceed inside to their destination. For me to extend these circuit to their new destination i'll have to us a a quazite enclosure underground and splice these circuits or just extend these conduits underground and repull the wire.

my question is this.....can you use a quazite enclosure in class 1 div. 1 area with seal offs on "entrance" and "exit" of the box and of course at the designated equipment?

is there another type of box to use under ground to handle 13-20 3/4" conduits that is suitable for class 1 div 1.

box will be under ground approx. 20-30 feet away from pumping stations

thanks

i have a job coming up which will require either splicing motor lead and control wiring in an underground box or repulling everything for point A to point B.

situation: site is a fueling station that is tearing down some building which houses the current electrical panel, starters, etc... for the fuel pumps. the panel and controls are being relocated about 50 feet away from the current location.

There are 13 conduits entering the exterior of the building and proceed inside to their destination. For me to extend these circuit to their new destination i'll have to us a a quazite enclosure underground and splice these circuits or just extend these conduits underground and repull the wire.

my question is this.....can you use a quazite enclosure in class 1 div. 1 area with seal offs on "entrance" and "exit" of the box and of course at the designated equipment?

is there another type of box to use under ground to handle 13-20 3/4" conduits that is suitable for class 1 div 1.

thanks

The 'box' would need to be XP rated. IMO; your best bet is to extend the conduit, remove the seal on the other end and re-pull the wires.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

The 'box' would need to be XP rated. IMO; your best bet is to extend the conduit, remove the seal on the other end and re-pull the wires.
Seems to me that greater than 25' horizontally from fuel dispensers may put a splice box outside the classified area. See Table 514.3(B)(1) for starters...

The first question here is will the proposed splicing location be hazardous classified after planned changes are complete?

Seems to me that greater than 25' horizontally from fuel dispensers may put a splice box outside the classified area. See Table 514.3(B)(1) for starters...

The first question here is will the proposed splicing location be hazardous classified after planned changes are complete?

When somebody tells me 20-30', I will formulate my answer to the worst case condition and that would be 20'.

Thats the thing, demo of old buildings now to make room for pre pay fuel pumps. so a change in plans and unknown location of new fuel pumps.

so i will be repulling it all and just pull through the box to the new starter location. just to be on the safe side.:mad:

the starters will be outside of the classified area inside the building.

thanks all!

hardworkingstiff

If the spice box is more than 20' from the dispensers and not in a classified area for the UG tanks and pumps then the splice box would not need to be x-proof.

Now, after years of experience working around gas stations, please do not splice these conductors. Re-pull after you extend the conduits. It will be a much better job for the customer.

I always tell the customer "you may be able to save a few dollars by doing it xyz, but you will have to live with that poor installation for life. You will soon forget about the extra money you pay for a better installation and you will be much happier for the rest of your life".

Status
Not open for further replies.