ITE breaker recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Google is your friend

CPSC, Siemens Energy & Automation Inc. Announce Recall of GFCI Circuit Breakers Used with Hot Tubs and Spas

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Siemens Energy & Automation Inc. of Alpharetta, Ga., is voluntarily recalling about 144,000 2-pole ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) circuit breakers, typically used with hot tubs and spas to prevent shock or electrocution. These GFCI circuit breakers could overheat and lose their ability to prevent injury or death.

Siemens is not aware of any injuries involving these circuit breakers. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injury.

The 2-pole GFCI circuit breakers involved in this recall carry the Siemens or Murray brand name. The face of the black plastic units have a large, white button with the word "TEST" molded into it. The circuit breaker's rating is printed in white at each end of the handle's horizontal bar. A product identification sticker is affixed to the face of each unit near the "TEST" button. The word "Siemens" or "Murray" will be found at the top of the sticker, and the phrase "2 Pole Unit" is printed on the bottom of the sticker. Only 2-pole units are being recalled.

The GFCI circuit breakers were sold primarily to electrical contractors and hot tub manufacturers through independent wholesale electrical distributors. A small percentage were sold to contractors and consumers through home improvement stores. They were sold nationwide from March 1996 through April 1998 for about $100.

Consumers should switch the recalled GFCI circuit breaker to the "off" position immediately to disconnect the power supply. Consumers should call Siemens at (800) 241-3138 between 7 a.m. and 12 midnight EST Monday through Friday or between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. EST Saturday and Sunday to arrange to have qualified personnel replace the breakers at no charge to the consumer. Consumers should not attempt to remove the GFCI circuit breaker because high voltage can cause death or serious injury. Consumers should not use their hot tubs and spas until a replacement breaker has been installed.

DaveBowden

I'm not talking about the 2 pole GFI breakers. I hadn't heard of that recall.
The recall I was referring to is for Siemens and Murray breakers, single and double pole, 15 through 50 amps. It was only for breakers with an 0610 date code at first but was extended for those breakers with 0710 date codes too.
Breakers: Q115 Q120 Q130 Q215 Q230 Q250 MP115U MP120 MP130 MP215 MP230 MP230U MP250
Load Centers: G2020B1100CP G3030B1100CP G4040B1200CUSGP LC40401200P G3040B1200CP G3040L1200CP G4040B1200CP G3030B1150CP W3040B1200CP
Meter Combo: JA2040B1200SP
The information and list of all the invoice numbers I had with any of these breakers on them was given to me by RRexel/Consolidated Electric Supply. They don't know yet whose paying for anything. All they're doing for now is exchanging any breakers with theses date codes as defective.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Status
Not open for further replies.