Colorado license renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky=t

I think this is going to put alot of money in the bank for some instructional programs in the near future, however this is the first time that I have seen a state not take the time to pre approve programs (maybe it is a matter of time).
Like the part the testing starts the same day they usually implement the new code!

bet it will put alot more people in school based on the way they have designed the requirements, and over time weeds out some people who do not have the drive to continue.
TIME WILL TELL. ;)

vanskills

They should teach people real life stuff that actually applies to being an electrician.

I cant tell you how many "journeymen" i have met that cant even bend conduit.

But apparently its more important to teach how to look up stove feeder calculations...:)

sparky=t

They should teach people real life stuff that actually applies to being an electrician.

I cant tell you how many "journeymen" i have met that cant even bend conduit.

But apparently its more important to teach how to look up stove feeder calculations...:)

maybe once they thin out the current license holders they will have a practical part added like wyoming used to have?, the other part of this new law is that the 20 year apprentice will be going to school if they re register as an apprentice after january! :D

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
It's kind of crazy. You can put in your 4 years roping houses and then go take the Journeyman's test without touching a stick of pipe. It happens all the time.

It may be crazy to someone who has bent a lot of pipe... You can't expect an applicant to be an expert at every aspect of the trade. It may be that you become an electrician and never bend pipe your whole career. Then again you may bend pipe your whole life and never once write the programing for a PLC...

stevenje

It may be crazy to someone who has bent a lot of pipe... You can't expect an applicant to be an expert at every aspect of the trade. It may be that you become an electrician and never bend pipe your whole career. Then again you may bend pipe your whole life and never once write the programing for a PLC...

That is so true. In a perfect world an apprentice would be exposed to a little bit of everything in their four years of training. If you are lucky enough to start out with a shop that does all aspects of electrical work then it might happen.

I have seen apprentices wire houses their entire four years and test out. The sad part is if they go to another shop as a licensed journeyman that does commercial or industrial work, they do not have the skills or knowledge to perform at the journeyman level.

From my experience, the accuracy of the paper trail that documents the apprentices work exposure (res, comm, ind ...) to say the least, is questionable.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
From my experience, the accuracy of the paper trail that documents the apprentices work exposure (res, comm, ind ...) to say the least, is questionable.
Absolutely. Until they divvy it up into "RJW's" and "CJW's" then it will continue to be so. I sat for my JW without having bent a stick of pipe. I started to learn how to bend pipe about a week after the test, when I changed employers. I made my experience clear and was paid accordingly, but I have heard of many who didn't fully disclose their shortcomings.

stevenje

Absolutely. Until they divvy it up into "RJW's" and "CJW's" then it will continue to be so. I sat for my JW without having bent a stick of pipe. I started to learn how to bend pipe about a week after the test, when I changed employers. I made my experience clear and was paid accordingly, but I have heard of many who didn't fully disclose their shortcomings.

George, This thread has got me thinking. I am usually one of the first to jump on some poor EE or handyman for thinking that they are qualified to be a journeyman, when in fact there are a lot of licensed journeyman that I have worked with, that didn't have a clue. I need to change my attitude about who is qualified and who isn't.

sparky=t

George, This thread has got me thinking. I am usually one of the first to jump on some poor EE or handyman for thinking that they are qualified to be a journeyman, when in fact there are a lot of licensed journeyman that I have worked with, that didn't have a clue. I need to change my attitude about who is qualified and who isn't.

thinking that is part of the reason for the union pushing the legislation that ended in this new statue, it is just begining in mho., just be happy they did not get the solar experience requirement pushed thru to re - new, don't know about every one else but that is a hard one to get.

bp3

thinking that is part of the reason for the union pushing the legislation that ended in this new statue, it is just begining in mho., just be happy they did not get the solar experience requirement pushed thru to re - new, don't know about every one else but that is a hard one to get.

I think Pearson Vue is the one to profit the most from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.