What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogg

I recently read an ad in the local newspaper where a hospital was looking for a master electrician, and I applied for the job. After several interviews now, I am in the final stages of the process. However, we have not got to the "meat and potatoes" of wages. My question is this, what do you guys think a master electrician should be paid in an health care faciltiy? The hospital is pretty large (do not know exactly how big) and has several off campus facilties that are maintained also. From what I understand, duties also include helping with HVAC, Plumbing, etc., as needed. What do you think? Aw, forgot to mention that the hospital is located in Virginia, near Roanoke.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I recently read an ad in the local newspaper where a hospital was looking for a master electrician, and I applied for the job. After several interviews now, I am in the final stages of the process. However, we have not got to the "meat and potatoes" of wages. My question is this, what do you guys think a master electrician should be paid in an health care faciltiy? The hospital is pretty large (do not know exactly how big) and has several off campus facilties that are maintained also. From what I understand, duties also include helping with HVAC, Plumbing, etc., as needed. What do you think? Aw, forgot to mention that the hospital is located in Virginia, near Roanoke.

$120,000 per year:grin::grin:

Will you be the license holder?

Cavie

Don't look for big $$$ leaning on your license. They usually are looking for experiance. Any work requireing a license and permits will be handled by an outside contractor. They are after maintenance personal. They are not into "contracting" Think of what your leadman salary is and you'll be in the ballpark.

ceb58

They are looking for maint. personnel. The large hospital in my area has a maint. staff but all remodeling/construction is handled by contractors. The last time I looked they were advertising for an elect. with duties such as you described. They were posting salary range of high 30's to very low 40's. Not worth the responsibility.

480sparky

They are looking for maint. personnel. The large hospital in my area has a maint. staff but all remodeling/construction is handled by contractors. The last time I looked they were advertising for an elect. with duties such as you described. They were posting salary range of high 30's to very low 40's. Not worth the responsibility.

Years ago, I looked into a position just like the OP described. They needed a Master so he could pull permits for small jobs, while larger work was contracted out. Pay at that time (1996 or so) was $78,500 plus bennies.

ceb58

Years ago, I looked into a position just like the OP described. They needed a Master so he could pull permits for small jobs, while larger work was contracted out. Pay at that time (1996 or so) was $78,500 plus bennies.

Here in NC (not sure about Va.) the hospital would be exempt from licensing for doing elect. work on their own property with their own maint. staff. So holding a license would not give you leverage for salary adjustment.:mad:

growler

What do you think?

Master electricians are not in short supply but that doesn't mean the pay will be bad, It's really about what they have in the budget for the position you are being considered for.

Think about this. You not only have to get the job you actually have to work there. Is this something that you would be interested in doing, maybe for many years?

If this type of work sounds like it would be interesting and not slow death for money then wait and see what they offer and what the position is and what there is open for the future. Some of these places have a real good benefits plan that can be worth a lot and killer job security, if you have a family things like this can be worth a lot.

A job is a good job if it's the right job for you. ( growler 11/07/2010). If you hate the work there is not enough money to make it a good job.

If this type of work sounds like it would be interesting and not slow death for money then wait and see what they offer and what the position is and what there is open for the future. Some of these places have a real good benefits plan that can be worth a lot and killer job security, if you have a family things like this can be worth a lot.

A job is a good job if it's the right job for you. ( growler 11/07/2010). If you hate the work there is not enough money to make it a good job.

There are a lot of guys who would be very happy with that these days...

brian john

We are talking Roanoke VA, not a major city.

What is the local PW scale?
What is the local union scale?
what is the average open shop scale?

My experience with hospitals (and we work in loads of hospitals) is the management sees the masters as a sign you might know something and will not utilize the license for permitting. Several of the hospitals we work at have masters that only have residential experience.

Typically the pay was less than what my union mechanics make, as the benefits are fairly nice.

The big money comes in for the Master's boss, head of facilities.

At a minimum you would want to make more than you are getting now, with vacation and benefits.

cadpoint

There are many calculators that are on-line, I'd try various phrases of your job title. Here

This one is a reverse one, where one has to input in a lot of information and work backwards, it's odd cause one
has to choose your pay range, but you can at least play around with this!

Besides the Ads that pop up between sessions, it could lend a hand in your understanding of a pay scale.

The Dept of Labor also has a listing of pay scales, but I think that more based of government pay scales.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
These kind of employers almost always have some kind of pay scale they have in place for just about every job you can imagine.

They will decide you are a grade whatever and the allowed range for that grade of employee is a certain amount and that's what will determine the pay for this job. it's pretty much a take it or leave it thing. You might be able to tweak them for an extra 5 or 10%, but what will happen most times is that it will just reduce the amount of money you can be given later on as an annual raise.

Many times there is a lot of opportunity for OT in hospitals.

BJ Conner

GF Wages

GF Wages

Check the rates for the local.
A job with that much responsibility is worth GF wages.
IF their lowballing they'll find out nothing cost as much as cheap help.

Status
Not open for further replies.