Oversized wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

20-amp Square D breaker. Circuit wire is a #6 Al. Strands from the wire were separated and connected to the breaker, in a manner similar to double-lugging (each side of the screw). Is this proper?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
20-amp Square D breaker. Circuit wire is a #6 Al. Strands from the wire were separated and connected to the breaker, in a manner similar to double-lugging (each side of the screw). Is this proper?

Take a look at the circuit breaker lug and see if it rated for that size wire.

If it is then the wire should fit without the double twists

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Nope. Since you said both sides of the screw I'm assuming that you mean a QO breaker. If I remember correctly they're typically good for up to a #8 conductor. As Leo stated the listing of the CB lug would provide the correct answer. This can be a simple fix by splicing on a smaller conductor.

tonype

Nope. Since you said both sides of the screw I'm assuming that you mean a QO breaker. If I remember correctly they're typically good for up to a #8 conductor. As Leo stated the listing of the CB lug would provide the correct answer. This can be a simple fix by splicing on a smaller conductor.

Rob: You are correct - it is a QO breaker

kbsparky

Why not simply post the pic?

SPA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.