To inspect or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPW

90.7 Examination of Equipment for Safety.
...It is the intent of this Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment, except to detect alterations or damage, if the equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory that is recognized as having the facilities described in the preceding paragraph and that requires suitability for installation in accordance with this Code.......

We are having different views on how the inspector community interprets this.

Since one of our HVAC product lines is UL listed & label, will an inspector typically look at the internal, factory installed wiring?

Typical wiring is a few lights, VFD to fan motors and service receptacle. There are special cases where a N.F. motor disconnect will be installed.

Thanks for any comments

Jim W in Tampa

Most will not simply because it is not part of the permitted work to be done. I do believe he has every right to inspect it. If he is checking the power connections an observed a violation he should act on it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I follow Jim's guide. If the equipment has a NRTL Label, I check nameplate data, any wiring by the E/C including grounding.
On RARE occasion, I have observed items that were questionable and I contacted the listing agency to assure they did list the particular unit.

I follow Jim's guide. If the equipment has a NRTL Label, I check nameplate data, any wiring by the E/C including grounding.
On RARE occasion, I have observed items that were questionable and I contacted the listing agency to assure they did list the particular unit.

When I was inspecting, this would be the only reason I would have looked at factory wiring. It only happened a couple of times.

There is so much to see/look for when inspecting, that it is difficult at best to try look at the manufacturer's equipment.

ceb58

If my poor mind remembers correctly this is a topic the state of NC addressed. They told the inspectors that they were not to inspect equipment that had been listed.

Jim W in Tampa

If my poor mind remembers correctly this is a topic the state of NC addressed. They told the inspectors that they were not to inspect equipment that had been listed.

So are they saying if an inspector seen something not safe he is to just look the other way ?

Thats a fine way get people killed or hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.