Hot Bend torch for bending pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken 6789

Anyone used or have any experience with the Hot Bend torch for bending pvc conduit? I am considering purchasing one. Thanks

BJ Conner

There has to be temperature limits on cold bending.
I would not allow them on a job unless I had concurrance from a PVC conduit manufacturer that it was acceptable and under what conditons.
I'de bet a large lunch that it won't work in NoDak in January.

stevenje

There has to be temperature limits on cold bending.
I would not allow them on a job unless I had concurrance from a PVC conduit manufacturer that it was acceptable and under what conditons.
I'de bet a large lunch that it won't work in NoDak in January.

You are right. I have worked with pvc in underground projects in the dead of winter in the mountains of Colorado. It will crack, split and chip pretty easy under very cold conditions. I remember breaking TA's just by tightening down lock nuts with linemans and a screwdriver.

romexking

The hot bend works great...especially if you have to bend 4" pvc that was left i the ground from the utility work, and get it up into a CT cabinet or meet with your conduits leaving the building.

With conduit plugs, you can heat and bend 4" in just a couple of minutes.

Article 90.1

I've answered similar posts to this before. The Hot Bend is awesome! it is the right tool for the job, get it and never look back. We've made thousands of bends in 3/4" -4" PVC in 4 degree weather with no problems. The torch is really great for conduits that are already stubbed up, too.

The bends made with a Hot Bend, when used properly are no different than any other PVC heating/bending method.

I, too was a non-believer when my foreman handed me the Hot Bend, but after heating an entire length of 3/4" PVC in about 1 minute I became a firm believer in the tool.

Wear gloves and keep the torch moving!

Anyone used or have any experience with the Hot Bend torch for bending pvc conduit? I am considering purchasing one. Thanks

The flame benders all require highly skilled craft. It produces uneven heating of the object and the uniformity of bend is not nearly as good as electrically heated benders. Old school: electric benders and fill the pipe with sand. Watch the timing for different sizes and pipe schedules. With that a caveman can do it!:D

quinn77

ive used it and after a little practice...it was great. we bought one to install 1/2", 3/4", and 1" sch 80 pvc on high end boat docks...more like small houses...where the builder wanted absolutely no pre bent fittings. he said make it look like emt...so we did...and the bender worked perfectly...with no burns at that.

jimbo123

The viper spring is made for schedule 40 , i don.t think they make it for schedule 80. I used it on 3/4 for offsets and 90* it did the job.

pvc bender

pvc bender

We have a couple made by a company called bendz fast. They are great and couldnt imagine not having them. They are most usefull for service laterals 4" etc but once you get the hang of it they rock. We do not often use them for indoor work as we typicly use pvc for exterior work. When Interior we typicaly use smaller sizes and a blanket. I have a propane powered hot box and never got around to using it. There hand held benders are the same thing they use for large shrink wrap projects like winterizing boats. I think I paid 500 bucks for it 10 years ago and would by it again in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.